HELP ATE GOAT DEWORMER

Papagena

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
My chickens did...some spilled on the ground while I was dosing the goats. It’s the Manna Pro pellet kind in the yellow bag. What do I do? Did I inadvertently poison them?

It depends on how much they ate. Did you see if they ate a ton or just a little? I actually used goat dewormer for a hen I had who had worms in her throat. The dewormer never worked though, and sadly the hen died. :hit (Don't rip me apart people! We had no idea if chicken dewormer was even made, and I was really upset at the time. We only used a few pellets like 3 or 4 pellets) Anyway I hoped this helped I'm pretty sure your hens should be fine! :D

I'm not sure, do you know the active ingredients? I know you can use horse dewormer (in very small amounts) for chickens so hopefully they'll be okay!

It depends on how much they ate. Did you see if they ate a ton or just a little? I actually used goat dewormer for a hen I had who had worms in her throat. The dewormer never worked though, and sadly the hen died. :hit (Don't rip me apart people! We had no idea if chicken dewormer was even made, and I was really upset at the time. We only used a few pellets like 3 or 4 pellets) Anyway I hoped this helped I'm pretty sure your hens should be fine! :D
Welcome to BYC! Next time you need to deworm get the Safeguard liquid for goats.

It was only a one time thing. The poor hen got so many worms in her throat I don't think they could even die... Thanks though! I'll try it if the time comes again (lets hope not).

Next time you need to deworm get the Safeguard liquid for goats.
We drench our herd. To insure they swallow the correct amount of treatment for their body weight. Also with 17 goats, some will eat more worm pellets than others unless they are treated one by one individually.

Back the the OP,
I would be more concerned more if the goats ate the chicken wormer if the situation was reversed. unless of course the ate half the package of course..
just my two cents..

It was only a one time thing. The poor hen got so many worms in her throat I don't think they could even die... Thanks though! I'll try it if the time comes again (lets hope not).
Were they gapeworms in the trachea? If so, those need to be treated with fenbendazole at least 14 mg per pound (0.14 ml per pound) for 5 days. The pellets don't have much medication in them, so better to use the liquid. Capillary worms require an even higher dose.

They ate like 4-5 pellets each probably while I was scrambling around to pick it up. The active ingredient is Morantel Tartrate. It also contains supplemental copper

(As far as the goats dosage, I isolate them so I know exactly how much they get. We only have three of them)

Back
Top Bottom