Help! Bleeding hen

Mama2chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Fort Collins
When I went out to gather eggs today my EE is bleeding from around her vent. It's hard to tell where it is coming from though she obviously layed her egg after it happened as there was a little blood on the shell. She is at the bottom of the pecking order and we have had issues with the other girls pucking out her tail feathers and pecking at her bloody bottom before. We treated her with blu kote and haven't had any problems sent. I have never seen it as bad as it is now. Is it possible one of the other hens did it or is it something else? This is my first flock of chickens so I don't even have a good guess. I took a picture but I can't figure out how to post it. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Just a guess without pictures, but if it has happened before, I would imagine it is pecking.
Have you removed her from the flock?
I would bring her in, clean her up and put some Neosporin without pain reliever on her. I would also give her a shot of PenG if you can. Put her somewhere warm and quiet and give her some special treats.
Hopefully this helps, but without knowing if this is what happened for sure, this is the best advice I can give you.

I figured out the picture issue. Her is it is

85771_photo1.jpg

Ouch! Separate her right away, before they cannibalize her.
I would get her into the sink, and wash her down. Then reassess the damage. That sure looks painful.

Back
Top Bottom