Help! Chick pipped in the wrong spot on day 18

Great! Thanks for all the info. I stopped moistening the membranes, figuring the same thing - humidity should be taking care of that. Humidity is at 74%. I can hear chirping. Since I've been away, she (lets hope it's a she) pecked off a second piece of the shell and is working on another.

Attachments

• PXL_20230315_182315191.jpg
    PXL_20230315_182315191.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 3
I'd stop that before you drown it, and consider it lucky to have not happened already.. But highly agree with those who said WAIT.

Does that mean technically day 19?

:fl
And yes... so the first time I hatched, everyone was a day late, so I read up on it and saw that you count a day 0 as they heat up. So this time I counted a day 0, so... technically? The eggs have been in the incubator for 19 days. Today would be day 20. The only major flaw in all this wacked counting is that means I did lockdown on what I thought should be 18, but was 19... feeling like I can't win with internet research.

Great! Thanks for all the info. I stopped moistening the membranes, figuring the same thing - humidity should be taking care of that. Humidity is at 74%. I can hear chirping. Since I've been away, she (lets hope it's a she) pecked off a second piece of the shell and is working on another.
That's great that she's making progress!
She should be totally good on her own.

And yes... so the first time I hatched, everyone was a day late, so I read up on it and saw that you count a day 0 as they heat up. So this time I counted a day 0, so... technically? The eggs have been in the incubator for 19 days. Today would be day 20. The only major flaw in all this wacked counting is that means I did lockdown on what I thought should be 18, but was 19... feeling like I can't win with internet research.
The day after you set them is day 1. 24 hours after they've been set.

you counted right. it is 24 hrs from when you set them is day 1. So if you set them on Fri then Friday 3 weeks later is day 21 so today would be day 19.

as others have said a pip at the wrong end just means it did an internal and external at once so can take up to 48 hrs to hatch. You shouldn't need to do anything special. Don't up the humidity more than you would for a normal lockdown, don't moisten the membrane etc. Just watch and wait. I know in my NR360 I keep it around 60-65 for lockdown. 74% seems pretty high.

PXL_20230316_104321560.jpg

Here's the early bird! Zipped last night around 10pm. It's been so long since I hatched eggs that I can't remember how active they are after hatching. This one seems pretty tired, but is stretching out her legs and finding her way around pretty well. She's probably pretty lonely. Another egg pipped, but everyone else is quietly waiting for day 21.

Back
Top Bottom