Help, chicken attacked

hodor

Songster
Nov 6, 2015
Australia
A friend dropped off their dog today to play with our dog (which is well trained around the chooks) while we were out, we came home to find their dog cowering guiltily inside and our black Ancona laying in the yard. Not sure what happened exactly.

Anyway.

The Ancona has some feathers missing/torn out around the neck, however there is no bleeding or lacerations, initially it was panting quite a bit (it was laying in the hot sun). Had a good look at its legs and wings, maybe its left wing is been held slightly differently or it might just be a couple of ruffled feathers, otherwise they all seem well intact and there doesn't seem to be any distress showed moving the limbs including the left wing.

Since then we have moved it to shade, given it water by hand along with some food and it has stopped panting. However it is just sitting in the run and not moving anywhere, it has stood and perched on my hand so it can use its legs but is choosing not to.

I can take a photo if that will help, however I don't believe there is anything to show as visually it looks a little ruffled and not a lot else.

Is it normal after been attacked to just lay around for a bit? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Just an update.

The Ancona is alive and appears physically well other than a slight limp at times. Managed to roost itself and has been feeding this morning.

Emotionally it runs to the back corner of its run if the dog comes into the yard and hides for a long time.

Not bad for under 24 hours.

My buff was attacked by a stray dog a few weeks ago. I had to constantly attempt to her the entire day before she finally had any food or water at the end of the day. She tried to walk but kept falling over. I wrapped her legs, loosely and had to keep her nside for about a week, at night only. After a week I let her stay outside with the other chicks.. She is a happy chick, and fully active after almost two weeks, once again. again

Back
Top Bottom