Help! Chicken falling over!

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your hen? I have a 12 week old Wyandotte who has been like this for 2/3 weeks now. She eats, drinks, keeps yo with her flock. I can’t find any visible injury. She falls backwards like she’s losing balance then sits down. At night, she acts like her legs are too week to hold on to the roosting bar and she falls off the back of it. I put her back up until she finally gets her balance enough to hunker down for the night. She literally has nothing else wrong with her. I put vitamins in her water. I don’t know what it could be. The rest of the flock is fine. She doesn’t have any other symptoms of Mareks so I’m just not convinced that’s what it is.
Did you figure this out? I have a hen that is doing this right now.

Hello! A week ago I found my 6-month Ancona hen falling over and acting super drunk. My out-of-state chicken-loving cousins advised me to remove her from the rest of the flock to see how she does, but she has not gotten better. She is eating and drinking fine, and is laying normally (she's one of my best layers). I have checked for injury but do not see anything that indicates that she is hurt, although she falls over to her right side and does not put weight on her right foot. I have checked meticulously for a broken bone, something dislocated, or something that would make her unable to walk. She is extremely lethargic, but has moments of "picking up" and will try to run before falling back over. Her eyes are clear, her comb is nice and red, and her poop is normal, breathing is normal, and she is alert. No other birds are displaying this behavior. This morning, she began drooling after spending some time at the waterer, but this only lasted a minute and I have not seen it since. She feels light, but she has always felt light, as she is much smaller than my marans. Any ideas??? I've combed through articles regarding diseases she might have and nothing seems to fit!
Hi, I’m glad you are asking about options. I have some very old chickens that walked backwards and tipped over and they are still with us. The thing you need to worry about is the others picking on her. However, if you separated her it’s difficult bringing here back into the flock. I believe chickens can get seizures. There are toxins from other wild birds left behind that can set off susceptible traits. I have two roosters and three hens that are living in my “big barn” together and thriving. I give them treats every day to keep them happy. Neurological issues are pretty common in birds as they are so overbred. And after twenty five years with my flock, I know their behavior and can tell who isn’t going to make the week and who is going to be fine. Believe me if she is eating she’ll be fine. Just watch that the others dont pick on her head and hurt her. Best.

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your hen? I have a 12 week old Wyandotte who has been like this for 2/3 weeks now. She eats, drinks, keeps yo with her flock. I can’t find any visible injury. She falls backwards like she’s losing balance then sits down. At night, she acts like her legs are too week to hold on to the roosting bar and she falls off the back of it. I put her back up until she finally gets her balance enough to hunker down for the night. She literally has nothing else wrong with her. I put vitamins in her water. I don’t know what it could be. The rest of the flock is fine. She doesn’t have any other symptoms of Mareks so I’m just not convinced that’s what it is.
any update on your chicken? I have a silkie that its doing the same thing...Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom