Help! Chickens with mite infestation :/

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
I recently noticed hundreds of small 0.5-1mm wide (or there abouts) bugs with a reddy-black colour in the coop. We took out the bedding, disposed of it and drenched the coop in a chicken mite killer solution. We then did the same three days later. No sign of the mites 4 days after that and then they're suddenly back even worse than before. How do I get rid of them? I can't see any signs of the mites actually being on the chicken (no eggs on feathers/scaly/dry skin). Any help is much appreciated!

Your schedule is off, what you're seeing now is eggs that just hatched, needed a little longer in between. No harm done, but you're going to need to treat again. And probably once more after that.

Did you also dip or spray the birds? That needs to be done as well.

I use permethrin and have had good luck with it. It can be purchased in most farm stores such as TSC. It takes at least 3 or 4 weekly treatments. It doesn't kill the mites eggs so repeat treatments are necessary to kill the mites when they hatch. No need to keep the birds out of their coop. Let it dry and then let the birds back in. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Also some mites only come out at night and feed on the birds at night. I use a headlamp and go out to the coops after the birds have gone to roost and then I have both hands free to inspect the birds. I also take some paper towels out and rub on and under the roost and if there are mites they usually leave streaks on the paper towel. I also put poultry dust in the nest boxes. There is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. Good luck...
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Attachments

• PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 7
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 4