Help! Daddy duck beating up on mom and babies! Is this normal???

freeworld4all

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
I bought 9 females and 2 male runner ducklings in December and this is their first babies. The dominant male pecks at the mom and the babies. Why is this? Should I seperate them?

How old are the babies? drakes are known for killing babies.. some are ok it truly is an individual results will vary type of thing. I have my 6wk old out with the flock which consists of 3 drakes.. they have been okay with him, his mama is there too so that likely helped for the ease of the transition.

I would probably opt at this moment to remove her and the ducklings, there will always be a pecking order but if he's becoming nasty it maybe better to wait and try later on.

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks everyone for the advice. I've got them seperated now. Whew! That was stressful! The ducklings are just a couple of days old so it was really freaking out my mommy instincts! I'm thinking that the mean male needs to be dinner soon. He was already on my black list because he is constantly picking on one of the two mothers. I've been overlooking it until now because she can take care of herself, but not with 6 babies in tow! Does anyone know if the second in command male will turn in to a meanie if I remove the dominant one?

The new dominant one does not always become aggressive as the original drake but it does happen sometimes. However, I would continue to separate the female from everyone for awhile

As Kevin says, the subordinate may or may not become aggressive once the dominant drake is removed, but it sounds as if the present dominant needs to go - his disposition is known, and is unacceptable.

I'm happy to report that today both babies and moms (2) are doing much better being separated from dad. Since they are all free range ducks should I be giving the babies and starter pellets? I tried it a couple of times but the adults get to it before the babies do. I've seen them rooting around and I think eating something but it's hard to know for sure. Another thing that concerns me is that the moms are staying inside the coop (with the babies most the time) sitting some more eggs. I want them all to get out more so should I remove the eggs that they are sitting? Thanks again everyone for all the good advice!

So glad for your news! I am looking forward to answers from members who have broodies that hatch their little ones, to find out how that is resolved. One friend with a mother and ducklings just puts crumbles out for everyone, along with some extra treats.

Back
Top Bottom