[HELP] Duck breathing heavily

dido123

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2023
I've had two Pekins for 8 months now (one male, one female).
A few months back the female had very severe trouble breathing, and it eventually stopped after giving them a lot of vitamins (advice that a vet gave, not much duck-related products are available here unfortunately).
A few days ago I got some clean hay to put in their pen, hoping that it would make it cozier for the ducks, as the winters here do get into the negative celcius.
Today, the heavy breathing returned. Here's a link to a youtube video of the breathing.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? This looks like asthma in duck form, and the male duck doesn't have any trouble breathing, so I'm guessing it's not something contagious.

I already gave them lots of the same vitamins as last time, but I'm really curious on what this could be, and how I can help the duck. Should I keep them inside this night?

Last edited:
oh dear that does look sad she is having trouble breathing - I wonder if her crop is impacted , do you give them grit?
Excuse me, as English is not my first language, but after a quick google search grit is just some hard little object like pebbles that they use to grind food, right?
I don't give them that, but they do forage around lots and I'm guessing get grit in some capacity on their own. I will try to find it and give it to them as soon as I can though!

I am treating a cochin bantam for crop problems at first we thought impacted but now we have determined it's yeast but what I am trying to say is my hen did not have trouble breathing. This looks serious could she have swallowed something and it is lodged have you felt along her neck?
Also feel her crop and let us know is it hard or soft? has she eaten today?
Here is I'nfo on crop problems but I am thinking an obstruction may be in her throat [neck] causing her to have breathing problems. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Look in her mouth too in case something is stuck there. My goose was swallowing a piece of bird netting once but thank the Lord I saw her in time and got it out it was already down her throat but some was still sticking out of her mouth

As long as she isn't struggling to breathe like she was in the video Just leave her till morning.

I walk my ducks into their coop to catch them it makes it easier on me and them instead of chasing them all over.

Her crop should be empty in the morning if she hasn't eaten so don't feed her until you have checked out her crop.

Oops, I deleted that reply because your reply didn't pop up on my screen yet, my bad.

Turns out my mom did check out her neck and crop today, and she says there were no obstructions and that the crop was soft.
Last time this happened I remember her neck and crop being fine.

I just checked, no idea if they're asleep, but the breathing is still pretty bad. It isn't as bad as the video, but I'd compare it to the sound of someone with asthma breathing. What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom