[HELP] Duck breathing heavily

It looks like it's a respiratory infection or that there is something stuck in her trachea. Can you get any antibiotics?
Last time this happened I asked for antibiotics, and got told that I would need to get them approved by a vet (who also doesn't know what's going on). Should be noted that it started when she was laying and being around mowed grass and it passed after a few days of her drinking a lot of vitamins.
This time she was around hay, so that might be the reason why?

Another vet said it has to do with her liver, as (apparently) as a liver with a lot of fat in it can affect the heart muscles and breathing.

No odea which one it is, but it doesn't look like any form of obstruction, as her entire neck seems fine.

If she were mine I would start her on antibiotics. Something like Baytril.
I'll try to do that, but as I said, here they won't sell you it unless you go to the vet (which'll cost you a couple hundred bucks), and then buy a whole bucket of antibiotics for however much that ends up costing you.

And I'm a bit hesitant to do all of that and stress her (as she's both wild but also very easily scared), especially as some vets (cuz I called multiple) said it might not help and it would be a reaccuring thing.

It’s a shame when we’re in different countries and you can’t get antibiotics without a vet. Here thank goodness we still can. Can you order on line and expidite?

It’s a shame when we’re in different countries and you can’t get antibiotics without a vet. Here thank goodness we still can. Can you order on line and expidite?
Doesn't look like it. There are only a few shops selling them, and they require you to be a company/have approval of a vet.

Overnight update

I just went outside, and when I opened the coop both of them were standing up. The male duck went back to laying down but the female duck (who is having issue breathing) did not. Whether I woke them up or not, I'm not sure.

The breathing is now pretty bad, just like in the video I uploaded earlier. I closed back the coop and am just praying that it will be fine, not much else I can do.

Last few weeks I've been giving them warm water to drink/bathe in as it's rather cold outside. Is that a mistake?

For some more context, last time this happened the breathing was also very bad, but she wasn't making the high pitched noises at all. This is the first time I've heard them happen.

When you struggle to breathe you can go into panic mode.

I would give them water to drink deep enough to wash their whole face but right now I wouldn't give them swimming water in case this is respiratory and she could chill if wet .

You can't even order online like Amazon etc. Of course I have no idea if Amazon even sells meds for poultry. How about fish antibiotics can you buy them at pet stores?

When you struggle to breathe you can go into panic mode.

I would give them water to drink deep enough to wash their whole face but right now I wouldn't give them swimming water in case this is respiratory and she could chill if wet .

You can't even order online like Amazon etc. Of course I have no idea if Amazon even sells meds for poultry. How about fish antibiotics can you buy them at pet stores?
I did give them warm water to wash their face.
As for the fish antibotics, I did find some that are apparently supposed to be put into the tank water. I'm not sure that would work. Here's the link, as you know more about this than I do.

Last edited:
I don't know how to interpret not real computer savy.

I use fish antibiotics. Here is a list it is from a do9g blog but they can be used on our poultry too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/antibiotic-article-from-a-dog-blog.73452/
Lets look and see what would be best for respiratory and then you can see if you can buy it there.
Doxycycline?
Tetracycline?

This site may even be better
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...scription-needed.1022278/page-6#post-23312813
Seems like that site I posted (the only one I can find) doesn't have anything mentioned in that article you posted. I'll look further into it tommorrow as it's getting late. I'll keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom