Help! Egg is crumbling away and chick isn't ready!

farlo4

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
Do I help it out? The shell has been crumbling since yesterday. I can hear peeping,but there doesn't seem to be a pipping hole. This egg is under a broody hen. What do I do? It's day 21

Last edited:
Adding the chick back to her at night is also a good idea. Your hen and the chick will be much more settled and quiet when it's dark. Only in the last week a couple of new members wanted to do this. They added the chicks at night and had good results with the hen accepting the chicks.

Good luck.

I'm going to try putting her with mom tonight after dark. I'll let you know how it goes. Until then, here's some pictures of "Xena." <3

I agree Ruby, it's not ready yet. A bit longer and it should be.

Keeping it moist is going to be the main thing now @farlo4

How did the egg becone cracked in the first place? Did the hen do it?

We arent sure what happened to it. How do I keep it moist enough? Right now it's wrapped in a damp towel

That's fine, kitchen towel is best if you have some. It's all you can do right now, it needs finish absorbing the blood and yolk etc before it hatches. With all the shell that has gone it may just hatch on its own. I will just find you an assisted hatch article for you to read while your waiting :D

Thanks I'll keep you all updated! Right now he/she is quietly sleeping in the homemade brooded box.

Update - still hanging out in there. The other eggs haven't hatched either yet. Today is either day 20 Or 21, so we could have a while yet to wait.

Last edited:

Look who decided to come into the world last night!
Thanks for all your help. Now my question is, when do I try and put it with mom? Do I wait until the other two eggs hatch as well? Or does it not matter? Poor thing is lonely in my chick raiser box.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom