Help! First time worry wart wants ducklings!

Is there a pool or other water source she has access to? I think, and I'm really just guessing here, that what we witnessed was our broody ducks will jump in the pool / pond and once all wet, they'll go back in an resume sitting on the eggs. I believe that's how they keep the humidity level up on the eggs they're hatching. I may be way out in left field but logically it makes sense to me. They don't like us messing with their eggs, but what's in the picture can you pick up that egg and candle it? I'd be worried that a duckling in that will not last long.

Edit - now that I've looked at it full screen I see the little beak poking out. Keep a close eye and if you have a mister spray it with a little water.

Last edited:
What would I be looking for when candling it? It is definitely moving and trying to get free. We do the sprinkler for them daily in a bad drainage spot in our yard so it makes a temporary pond for them but honestly she never partakes anymore. I figured I would just leave it on longer than normal and hopefully she will go for a longer swim?

Okay thanks, I'll go find something to mist with and check again in a little bit. Problem is as soon as she hears the door open she starts getting all huffy and come running after me, I don't want to keep bringing her off the nest if she shouldn't be. So hard to know what is the best course of action! Thanks again for your help!

Holy cow she is scary right now, lol!! Angered her so much she is in the "pond" right now, so I gave several misting sprays on all the eggs (she had shiftes them again so I couldn't see baby anymore) and beat it out of there! Hopefully now though she will be wet enough from her swim.

1f62d.png
Baby didn't make it. None of the others are cracked at all so thinking maybe duds. Feeling suuuuuper down right now. Darn ducks.

Very sorry to hear. It's difficult to determine when to intervene and when to let Mother Nature take its course. I usually go with Mother Nature. She's much smarter than I'll ever be. Hang in there, you're doing the best you can. And that's all any of us can do!!

Thanks for all of your help tmorgan46! Any of your ducklings hatch yet?
2764.png
1f423.png
2764.png

I was very worried about Penny and how to get her "unbroody," but on the day we were planning to go clear out her nest, before we even got out there she had decided to give up on it too. She's still more aggressive and loud than normal, but at least I don't feel as bad for clearing out her precious eggs. I am kind of looking forward to being welcome in my back yard again, lol, hope she calms down soon. We decided to just order a couple of ducks from Metzers so that the kiddos can still have the experience of raising baby ducks, even if we didn't get the full experience we were dreaming of.

Thanks for all of your help tmorgan46! Any of your ducklings hatch yet?
2764.png
1f423.png
2764.png

I was very worried about Penny and how to get her "unbroody," but on the day we were planning to go clear out her nest, before we even got out there she had decided to give up on it too. She's still more aggressive and loud than normal, but at least I don't feel as bad for clearing out her precious eggs. I am kind of looking forward to being welcome in my back yard again, lol, hope she calms down soon. We decided to just order a couple of ducks from Metzers so that the kiddos can still have the experience of raising baby ducks, even if we didn't get the full experience we were dreaming of.
This is the easy part. Logging on and typing away. The hard part is what we face with all of our fine feathered friends. So on a happy note - we have 7 new ducklings in a brooder. This past weekend we went camping and took along three very young (two or three days old) ducklings and also Uno, whose about 4 weeks old now. While in the KOA camp at Luray Caverns (highly recommend BTW) I let Uno wander around outside with me and it wasn't long before the first person noticed a duck following me. It started 3 days of "is that a pet duck following you around"? Enjoyable for both me and the Mrs. And above all, Uno had a great time as well.
We pulled 4 new ducklings out of nest yesterday just before supper time. I would imagine in the next week or so that number will triple or quadruple based on how many nests, the size of each clutch and how dedicated all the ladies are being!!! So if you know anyone in the Virginia area who is interested in Muscovy ducklings.... well we got 'em!!!

Back
Top Bottom