Help from someone that knows about raising goslings

JanR1

Songster
6 Years
Jul 4, 2017
Central Texas
I have 3 goslings that are just over 2 weeks old 1 male and 2 females. I already had 3 geese 1 male and two females that were all gotten at about 7 or 8 months. They are gander African/White Chinese cross and the females are African. When I was trying to get information on my geese I ran across the Pilgrim breed and after much research I decided I wanted to get some. I got on a waiting list at Metzgers about the first of the year and finally got them at the end of May. I'm very happy with my choice and they are healthy and very active. I know that they grow fast but I have some questions from someone familiar with goslings from hatching to several weeks old.

My first question is: Are goslings voracious eaters? I can't seem to fill them up. My intention was to go from leaving the feed bowl in the enclosure to feeding several times a day. So far that hasn't worked out. When they want to eat they screech loudly land won't stop until food is given. I got them from Metzgers and I'm feeding what they recommended, Duckling and Gosling Starter Grower. I have also started giving them finely chopped Romaine lettuce and Kale. I quit trying to use any kind of dish and just put it on the floor of their enclosure. I have them temporarily in the house and have pads to protect the floor. No problem with shavings being swallowed. We have an enlosure outside that is almost ready.

My second question is: Is it normal for them to have frequent watery poop? When they poop it just squirts out and sometime I have to clean the floor outside the enclosure. I was afraid that the food, Duckling and Gosling Starter Grower, may be causing the frequent liquid poop. I have Kalmbach All Natural for waterfowl that I'm feeding the adults and have given them a little the past couple of days trying to get them used to the change and texture. The Kalmbach has smaller pellets which I like. They do eat some they just don't jump in with both feet like they do with the crumbles and greens. When I say "with both feet" that's exactly what I mean. They're like feeding a litter of puppies who crawl up in the dish to eat.

Yes to both questions. Geese are grazers that eat a lot of grass and greens. At this time I have two orphan Canada goslings that I let free range through the yard cropping the grass. Be careful NOT to feed too much protein as it can cause Angel Wing in goslings; where the flight feathers grow in so fast the wing can not support them and the wing becomes deformed if not taken care of.

Runny droppings can be a sign of intestinal illness or just that they’re drinking a lot of water. I wouldn’t be concerned unless they start acting ill.

They do eat quite a lot, especially when they’re growing and are like bottomless pits. 😂

Thanks for the quick answer. They do drink A LOT! The pads are saturated when I pick them up. We have put them outside for a couple of days in a small doggie fence. My husband finished repairing the pen we are going to put them in and I just put them out there. The fence is safe and there is a little shelter if they need it. There is some green grass, their feed bowl and water. I can see them from my porch and the gander has appointed himself as guardian.

Thanks for the help. This site is a lifesaver.

I have 3 goslings that are just over 2 weeks old 1 male and 2 females. I already had 3 geese 1 male and two females that were all gotten at about 7 or 8 months. They are gander African/White Chinese cross and the females are African. When I was trying to get information on my geese I ran across the Pilgrim breed and after much research I decided I wanted to get some. I got on a waiting list at Metzgers about the first of the year and finally got them at the end of May. I'm very happy with my choice and they are healthy and very active. I know that they grow fast but I have some questions from someone familiar with goslings from hatching to several weeks old.

My first question is: Are goslings voracious eaters? I can't seem to fill them up. My intention was to go from leaving the feed bowl in the enclosure to feeding several times a day. So far that hasn't worked out. When they want to eat they screech loudly land won't stop until food is given. I got them from Metzgers and I'm feeding what they recommended, Duckling and Gosling Starter Grower. I have also started giving them finely chopped Romaine lettuce and Kale. I quit trying to use any kind of dish and just put it on the floor of their enclosure. I have them temporarily in the house and have pads to protect the floor. No problem with shavings being swallowed. We have an enlosure outside that is almost ready.

My second question is: Is it normal for them to have frequent watery poop? When they poop it just squirts out and sometime I have to clean the floor outside the enclosure. I was afraid that the food, Duckling and Gosling Starter Grower, may be causing the frequent liquid poop. I have Kalmbach All Natural for waterfowl that I'm feeding the adults and have given them a little the past couple of days trying to get them used to the change and texture. The Kalmbach has smaller pellets which I like. They do eat some they just don't jump in with both feet like they do with the crumbles and greens. When I say "with both feet" that's exactly what I mean. They're like feeding a litter of puppies who crawl up in the dish to eat.
Hi,

From my experience yes the poop is watery until they get older kind of like or children. Goslings and ducklings are ready for feed and water when they arrive. Use crumbilized chick or poult starter for the first week to 10 days. A pelleted grower ration plus cracked corn, wheat, milo, oats or other grain can be fed after this time. Keep feed before them at all times. This also works great for baby ducks. I've raised ducks and African geese on this diet and they thrive. Refrain from giving them bread or crackers like what comes to mind when thinking about feeding the pond animals at the local park. They need nutrition which they get from greens and purchases feed at a feed store. Now if your out of food and can't get any till morning or something than something is better than nothing.

Good luck,
Chelsea

Back
Top Bottom