Help! Gosling attacked by full grown rooster.

DrFarmersDrWife

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 2, 2014
Raymondville, TX
My gosling and I were walking across the yard, I looked away to go between the fence and the next thing I knew my rooster was on top of him.

I got there quick and all I could find was one place where he was bit. On his/her back there is a dime sized hole all the way through his skin! Not much bleeding, and the membrane over the muscle is still attached.

I seperated him from the other babies and gave him a feather duster for company. Along with water food and lots of fresh grass.

He is chipper and calling to me like normal. However, what about infection? Does it need stitched? I'm so attached to this little guy. He is such a stinker. I can't loose him. I feel so guilty for not watching my rooster better and protecting GooseGoose.

Any help much appreciated!!!

Best picture I could get

Uh-oh. Well I only have experience with these kinds of puncture wounds in dogs. They are not too serious in dogs but Goslings are probably more delicate
sad.png
I would suggest keeping it well cleaned immediately with a mild sterile solution like you would get from the pharmacy and patting it down three times a day without soaking for too long (germs like moisture), keep him dry and clean and hope for the best. I doubt stitching would be needed as it looked like this happened yesterday and I don't even know if one can stitch poultry
hmm.png
. Hopefully you have been keeping it clean since then!
Infection is more likely the longer it was left un-sterilized after the incident. I hope the little guy will be ok! Good luck to you both.

Uh-oh. Well I only have experience with these kinds of puncture wounds in dogs. They are not too serious in dogs but Goslings are probably more delicate
sad.png
I would suggest keeping it well cleaned immediately with a mild sterile solution like you would get from the pharmacy and patting it down three times a day without soaking for too long (germs like moisture), keep him dry and clean and hope for the best. I doubt stitching would be needed as it looked like this happened yesterday and I don't even know if one can stitch poultry
hmm.png
. Hopefully you have been keeping it clean since then!
Infection is more likely the longer it was left un-sterilized after the incident. I hope the little guy will be ok! Good luck to you both.
Goose Goose should heal fine and could be put back with it's sibs as long as he's acting fine. They are amazing in their ability to heal, just do as previous poster said and keep it clean. I like a product called Vetericyn spray for wounds and infections TSC carries it and you can also get it online. all you have to do it spray and so safe it can be used on the face too,.

Thanks guys! I cleaned it out with iodine. I was afraid to use peroxide as it drys wounds out and of course would sing really badly. I gently looked at the wound this morning while I was soaking it in iodine again, and it already looks so much better!

It is amazing how fast he is healing. The wound has already attached down to the inside, it looks much smaller and a lot less red. Luckily he doesn't seem to be pecking at it, but I gave him a bunch of grass bundled together by some twine and hung it just within his reach, so he has been very busy trying to munch all of that. I still have him separated as his brooder mates like to crawl all over him and I don't want them to rip the skin loose again.

I put chicken wire between him and the brooder mates so they can see and chirp at each other. He already destroyed the feather duster, even though its his new best friend.

Thank you guys so much for replying to me!!! I will pick up some Vetericyn for further cleanings and for my poultry first aide box that I will be putting together.

Thanks again!!!!!

Thanks guys! I cleaned it out with iodine. I was afraid to use peroxide as it drys wounds out and of course would sing really badly. I gently looked at the wound this morning while I was soaking it in iodine again, and it already looks so much better!

It is amazing how fast he is healing. The wound has already attached down to the inside, it looks much smaller and a lot less red. Luckily he doesn't seem to be pecking at it, but I gave him a bunch of grass bundled together by some twine and hung it just within his reach, so he has been very busy trying to munch all of that. I still have him separated as his brooder mates like to crawl all over him and I don't want them to rip the skin loose again.

I put chicken wire between him and the brooder mates so they can see and chirp at each other. He already destroyed the feather duster, even though its his new best friend.

Thank you guys so much for replying to me!!! I will pick up some Vetericyn for further cleanings and for my poultry first aide box that I will be putting together.

Thanks again!!!!!
Good news. now we need more pics of them all.

I honestly have the most unusual flock. Right now Goose Goose is big brother to ten black, blue, and lavender ameraucana chicks. Soon he will be joining a group outside I affectionately cal the "Quack Pack". That little group is comprised of two Pekin (Mr. Sweet and Mrs. Sour), two Roune ducks (Manzana and sandia) and my three bantams (Midgy, Boots, and Blue) who are absolutely inseparable from the ducks. It goes so far that they stand at the edge of the pool until the ducks finish swimming. Here are some pics.

GooseGoose:

I honestly have the most unusual flock. Right now Goose Goose is big brother to ten black, blue, and lavender ameraucana chicks. Soon he will be joining a group outside I affectionately cal the "Quack Pack". That little group is comprised of two Pekin (Mr. Sweet and Mrs. Sour), two Roune ducks (Manzana and sandia) and my three bantams (Midgy, Boots, and Blue) who are absolutely inseparable from the ducks. It goes so far that they stand at the edge of the pool until the ducks finish swimming. Here are some pics.

GooseGoose:

Very sweet pics.

Back
Top Bottom