very attached gosling

justvalerie

Chirping
Aug 18, 2020
We found a baby Canadian gosling left for dead in our yard where we have a platform nest. The family left it and didn't come back for 3 days. So we took it in and have been raising it. It's now about 2 and a half weeks old and has become very attached to us, we named it Kirby. My husband and i both work and we have to leave it in a pen while we're gone. I'm afraid this is traumatic for the little guy as he is all alone and he just thrashes his pen, which is 30 x 36, plenty big for now. I think we should get another gosling to have as a companion when we're not around. I'm not sure if a new gosling will be accepted by Kirby or how it will react to us. will Kirby become more independent as he gets older? We have built an enclosure for him outside, it sits on plenty of grass and clover. As long as he can see us he's fine but if we're not in sight he starts screaming. I feel horrible about leaving him! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Are you in North America?

If so it’s illegal to keep them and the best thing you could do is place them with a wildlife rehabber who can pair them with other wild goslings and teach them how to be a wild goose.

If not and you intend to keep them as a pet they will definitely need a gosling friend, being alone is very traumatic to geese, especially to goslings. They rely on their parents to protect them, a lone goose is a dead one, and they know it.

Geese are very social and will learn to bond with others quickly. The first week can be tricky, especially if there’s a noticeable age difference in goslings, very small goslings shouldn’t be around much larger ones without supervision until they’re closer In size.

Also what are you feeding them? Geese require more B vitamins and protein than other kinds of fowl so a 20% flock raiser type feed is appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom