Help, his comb is turning black!

mellielovesbantams

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
I got this serma roo 3 days ago he looked fine, Today his comb looks like this! What is this? I am in TN and it is not cold here at all. Is he sick? He seems to be eating and is very talkative. Is he going to make me or my other chickens sick, I am freaking out and don't know what to do. Help please

Attachments

• 20230831_232448.jpg
    20230831_232448.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 84
It could be several reasons. Check him over for lice and mites. Are there mosquitos where you live? Does he have any discharge from his nose?

I think rooster combs can turn black from extra testosterone. If he’s joined your flock of hens or depending on his age, maybe his hormones are surging.

It can also be a sign of organ issues and poor circulation.

Are his droppings normal? Make sure to check his crop in the morning to make sure it’s empty.

I got this serma roo 3 days ago he looked fine, Today his comb looks like this! What is this? I am in TN and it is not cold here at all. Is he sick? He seems to be eating and is very talkative. Is he going to make me or my other chickens sick, I am freaking out and don't know what to do. Help please
My big roo's comb does that, too. Always in the rear, just like yours. It does not stay that color all day, though. 🤔

It could be several reasons. Check him over for lice and mites. Are there mosquitos where you live? Does he have any discharge from his nose?

I think rooster combs can turn black from extra testosterone. If he’s joined your flock of hens or depending on his age, maybe his hormones are surging.

It can also be a sign of organ issues and poor circulation.

Are his droppings normal? Make sure to check his crop in the morning to make sure it’s empty.
Droppings look good, no discharge or sneezing that I have seen. He's been gaarrulous and crowing away

Back
Top Bottom