Help! How to separate?

sariea

Chirping
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I only have one brooder and one heat plate, but one of my lavender orpingtons has some bloody pin feathers on its back and I don't want the other chicks to hurt it further. What's the best way to separate this one? Thank you!

Do you have some Pick No More? That colors the blood so it isn't enticing. :thumbsup

And I use Mama Heating Pad...if you have one that doesn't turn off automatically, you can use it. Wrap it in Glad Press'N'Seal, place it over a cooling rack from your kitchen (also wrapped in P'N'S, those little cuties actively work at ways to kill themselves! :he), place a dishtowel over it all, and suspend that in a box for the little lavender orp.

Good luck!

How old is the chick in question? What are the dimensions of your brooder and what is it made of (pics can help)? You may be able to partition part of the existing brooder to make use of the e isting heat source *or* set up a second brooder temporarily that can be located to use the same heat source. Alternatively, putting together a second heat source ike the mama heat pad would allow a separate brooder without the restrictions tons of trying to "share the watmth" of the one heat source.

The tub/brooder we have is made of steel and is 2'x4'. The chick is about 4 weeks old. Pic is attached, it's from when we first got them, though, so ignore how small the chick in that picture is (and we no longer have the white/red waterer in there, just the feeder and that black bucket for water)

I did put some pick no more on its back, so hopefully that will help. They're quiet right now so I think I will check it in the morning and separate it then if I need to

Attachments

• brooder.jpg
    brooder.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom