Help- how to settle runner ducks?

pitirkurt

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2023
Hi, I have 5 egg laying hens, and last friday I bought 3 female runner ducks.
The ducks were mental when they arrived and huddled in the corner of the shed (there is a shed inside the fox-proof chicken run I lock the birds at night, with coop and lots of shelves they can perch on ) and they're not coming out!
When I approach to leave food they lose their mind despite I am nowhere close to them. I tried giving them pellets, peas, banana, and other things I found ducks can count as treats with no luck. they didn't eat anything until sunday, and they still eat very little. I'm really scared they're depressed.
They never once came out of the shed (I put a paddling pool outside which currently chickens enjoy)

my chickens are 6 months old, and the seller (who has a farm) told me these ducks are 1 year old. The ducks were kept free range with chickens and goats and as I bought them they were part of a 10-12 flock. The guy caught them with a net and it was a bit sad to watch. It's been 5 days, and I wonder if I should see some signs of settling in or if all hope is lost?

How can I help these poor ducks to settle in their new home?

Hi, I have 5 egg laying hens, and last friday I bought 3 female runner ducks.
The ducks were mental when they arrived and huddled in the corner of the shed (there is a shed inside the fox-proof chicken run I lock the birds at night, with coop and lots of shelves they can perch on ) and they're not coming out!
When I approach to leave food they lose their mind despite I am nowhere close to them. I tried giving them pellets, peas, banana, and other things I found ducks can count as treats with no luck. they didn't eat anything until sunday, and they still eat very little. I'm really scared they're depressed.
They never once came out of the shed (I put a paddling pool outside which currently chickens enjoy)

my chickens are 6 months old, and the seller (who has a farm) told me these ducks are 1 year old. The ducks were kept free range with chickens and goats and as I bought them they were part of a 10-12 flock. The guy caught them with a net and it was a bit sad to watch. It's been 5 days, and I wonder if I should see some signs of settling in or if all hope is lost?

How can I help these poor ducks to settle in their new home?
Like Miss Lydia said, it's just going to take time. The two loners you see are two that I rescued across town. IIRC, it took several months before they integrated into the flock of fourteen.
Imagine that; fourteen like-ducks, and it took that long!
Additionally, when the two freaked out, it spooked the other fourteen.
It just takes time.

Attachments

• 20210527_135842.jpg
    20210527_135842.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
can you put a bucket of water in the shed with them and toss in some mazuri waterfowl feed (it floats on the water and my ducks love it) you said theyre not eating, but
I hope they are at least drinking water or they cant survive long so they must be?
Im surprized they didnt go for the peas
like my friends above said it takes time
if you can put a chair near there so they can see you and just sit for a while quietly or sing gently maybe they get less afraid of you

can you put a bucket of water in the shed with them and toss in some mazuri waterfowl feed (it floats on the water and my ducks love it) you said theyre not eating, but
I hope they are at least drinking water or they cant survive long so they must be?
Im surprized they didnt go for the peas
like my friends above said it takes time
if you can put a chair near there so they can see you and just sit for a while quietly or sing gently maybe they get less afraid of you
Oh I see - I try to leave the food and walk away so they're not scared but I will try that thank you. Yes there's water inside, do I need to refresh it every day?

Like Miss Lydia said, it's just going to take time. The two loners you see are two that I rescued across town. IIRC, it took several months before they integrated into the flock of fourteen.
Imagine that; fourteen like-ducks, and it took that long!
Additionally, when the two freaked out, it spooked the other fourteen.
It just takes time.
Thank you so much. When the guy asked me if I wanted duckling or grown, I said grown because I worried my chickens would be too nasty if the ducks were small. But now I feel bad because I think I traumatised this birds who were part of a flock :(

Runners aren't the most laid back of breeds but they will settle in just give them time. Make sure the chickens aren't picking on them too. After all they are newbies and the chickens were there first. [It's sorta like kids] What I'd do is feed & water them inside but every other day move the containers closer to the door so eventually they are placed outside. They are going to make a mess of the coop but hopefully, with time they will come on out and eat outside.

Guys I'm SO happy, when I went to refresh the water I saw them outside. They immediately panicked& bolted into the same spot inside as they saw me approach. But They're clearly dipped into the pool I put outside as the water was muddy!! Progress, isn't it? I'll go and sit with them after work today :)

Back
Top Bottom