Help! I can’t figure out the fendbenzole dewormer dosage.

Negans_queen

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2021
I got the safeguard fendbendzole .5% pellets is what the vet gave me to give my chickens. He was not educated on the dosing because what he said made no sense at all! How many pellets do I give each chicken? If I add it to feed or the water I’m afraid because what if one chickens eats or drinks to much of the medicine and overdoses? Or what if one chicken don’t eat or drink enough of the medicine? So I was just going to give each chicken the right amount but I don’t know how much to give! Help! I love these chickens and I just can’t find the answer to this question anywhere! They have tapeworm, that’s what I’m trying to cure. The attached picture is the dewormer pellets I have.

Attachments

• 30335177-6DC5-4427-AA57-DFE6FEC61344.jpeg
    30335177-6DC5-4427-AA57-DFE6FEC61344.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 46
Im no help with the pellets but it might be simplier to purchase some liquid fenbendazole or valbazen from a feedstore with a syringe with 0.1mL increments. Anyway you could return the pellets and get the liquid? Just throwing it out there, sorry Im not help with the pellets

Thanks, tried to and the feed stores here don’t have any poultry dewormers.. Also the vet didn’t even have any poultry dewormer either he had to order this and was so uneducated on the dosage. I’m just gonna have to order some online. I just hope the worms don’t effect them that much while I wait for the medicine.

Quote from Negans__queen. “They have tapeworm, that’s what I’m trying to cure. The attached picture is the dewormer pellets I have.”

Since you have tapeworm, the best chemical wormer you can use should contain praziquantel. You may use Equimax horse paste 0.03 ml per pound, or about 0.16 ml given orally for a 5 pound bird. Repeat in 10-14 days. Zimectrin Gold horse paste or Droncit tablets alao contain praziquantel, but the dosage is different. Let me know if you cannot get Equimax at your feed store, TSC, or online.

https://www.allivet.com/p-109-equim...MIqYPrlOKJ9QIVzP_jBx3gigoREAQYAyABEgL_GPD_BwE

Don’t waste your time trying to treat tapeworms with other wormers. SafeGuard pellets are very hard to dose even for the usual worms that fenbendazole/SafeGuard paste or liquid, or Valbazen treat. Valbazen has been used in the past multiple times, but the praziquantel in Equimax is the best.

Tapeworms are rare in chickens, but if you have them, be sure to remove the critters that act as intermediate hosts for tapeworms. Those include snails, slugs, worms, beetles, including darkling beetles around the coop, flies, and try to remove droppings. Otherwise they can be contaminated again. You can usually see tapeworm segments moving in the droppings when they have them.

Last edited:
I do want to add, if treating for the usual chicken worms (roundworms, cecal worms, or the more rare gapeworms or cecal worms,) the SafeGuard liquid goat wormer dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given for 5 days. Same dose if using Safeguard 10% or Panacur horse paste.

Quote from Negans__queen. “They have tapeworm, that’s what I’m trying to cure. The attached picture is the dewormer pellets I have.”

Since you have tapeworm, the best chemical wormer you can use should contain praziquantel. You may use Equimax horse paste 0.03 ml per pound, or about 0.16 ml given orally for a 5 pound bird. Repeat in 10-14 days. Zimectrin Gold horse paste or Droncit tablets alao contain praziquantel, but the dosage is different. Let me know if you cannot get Equimax at your feed store, TSC, or online.

https://www.allivet.com/p-109-equim...MIqYPrlOKJ9QIVzP_jBx3gigoREAQYAyABEgL_GPD_BwE

Don’t waste your time trying to treat tapeworms with other wormers. SafeGuard pellets are very hard to dose even for the usual worms that fenbendazole/SafeGuard paste or liquid, or Valbazen treat. Valbazen has been used in the past multiple times, but the praziquantel in Equimax is the best.

Tapeworms are rare in chickens, but if you have them, be sure to remove the critters that act as intermediate hosts for tapeworms. Those include snails, slugs, worms, beetles, including darkling beetles around the coop, flies, and try to remove droppings. Otherwise they can be contaminated again. You can usually see tapeworm segments moving in the droppings when they have them.
Thank you! I have been super stressed out over this!

I didn’t find equimax but I found zimeterin gold, how much do I give them of that paste? It has ivermectin in it, is it still safe for the chickens?

Are you sure she has tapeworm? The vet has already discredited himself by saying tapeworm and giving the wrong medicine. So were his words correct, or was the medicine correct?

I think your medicine is correct. Here is the relevant info from the label, but i cant read it. I think it says 2.27? g / lb.
Screenshot_20220103-164553_Gallery.jpg

So to calculate the dose, juat calculate how many g your chicken needs per day, and give the amouny based of that. My liquid fenbendazole is sold specifically for poultry, and the dose is 2 drops on an empty crop. The empty crop is important too for the liquid. But fenbendazole is a safe medicine, no interactions or side effects if the dose is given properly.

Back
Top Bottom