HELP ME!! baby with unabsorbed yolk?....(i think)

skeeter03

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Vernon
I had a chick just hatch for me - when it hatched it had a lump - reddish with veins on it - where its belly button would be - but it got bigger and bigger and finally started leaking the chick is dragging this thing behind and trying to get it off with its feet
I also noticed that the sides of my chick were a darkish color and now they are normal colored again.
What do I do with the poor little thing.
do I remove the hanging on thing from its belly button or just leave it alone.

i have dial up so pics are a no go lol
i have it wrapped up in a paper towel moist one that is for now we will see I think i might just snip it and hope for the best.

I wouldn't snip it, I think it would bleed too much....
If I were compelled to remove it I would probably tie it off(gently, with floss, as it's easy to go right through) and then snip it

Last edited:
If the navel is hanging out like that it most likely wont live sorry to say
sad.png
.I've had some over the year's and it is heartbreaking truely.Leave it alone dont' pull anything off of it .So sorry about your chick.

It is likely to be the yolk sac remnant that is not absorbed. unfortunately, and if the remnant is large, the chick will not survive. If the sac is not too large push it back into the abdomen with a well lubricated tip of little finger. Then strap in the remnant with strong tap (porous type with a small pad over the hole is best).
Do not be tempted to change the tape if you have successfully pushed the lump back into the abdomen. It will get rather dirty but will eventually fall off.
I have done this for quite a few chicks and although you may find the whole process a bit unpleasant it does undoubtedly save the lives of some of these poor little souls. I have full grown and very healthy birds who are running around as I type on whom I have intervened successfully.

Good Luck,
Sandie

The chick has made it through the night and is hopping around - I have been dipping its beak in electrolyte water every few hours.
however its one eye is still shut - will attempt to give it a bit of a bath today and wipe the eye with a Q tip.
poor little thing - its soo tiny maybe a premature hatch on its part.

Back
Top Bottom