chick hatched, but...

eggsited chickens

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
SW Michigan
It has a large lump on it's neck and a lot of yolk was coming out of the egg before it totally hatched, and the yolk looks green. SHould I be worried? will this contaminate the rest of the chicks if it's bad? SHould I get the chick out and the egg out before the rest get sick? I would post pics, but my original comp internet is not working.

it doesn't even look like it's totally formed, and all the yolk is coming back out!

Last edited:
Quote:
A picture is definitely worth a thousand words, but this sounds pretty darn bad! The chick is still alive, I take it? And deformed? And yolk coming back out? It sounds more like you had a bacterial contamination in that egg! Yes, I would clean that mess up as quickly as possible! I realize not so easy as you have more eggs hatching! Have the other eggs pipped yet?

It's not terribly uncommon for a chick to hatch before it has absorbed all the yolk. It is best if the yolk sac or chick tummy doesn't get punctured if this is the case, but it is very delicate.
Some of related posts I pulled up using 'Search' may have helpful info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php?search_id=511741565
Best wishes to you & your chicks
hugs.gif

This little chicken is feisty! I had it seperated in a bowl, but in the big tote with the rest and she insists getting out and laying with the rest. I"ve given her some water, and she seems to be doing great. She still has a dried, bloody cord attached to her...I don't dare take it off. SHe is probably 1/2 the size of the other chicks too.

My advice is let her be. Put her in a bigger, higher tub, so that she/he can't get out and so the other chicks can't pack at the dried up cord. Mine went for each other's eyes for days and days.

here is an update on my chick. It is small but feisty and thriving. Here are some pics too.

the egg shortly after it hatched.
31423_100_5086.jpg

what it looked like several hours after hatching.
31423_100_5087.jpg

the size it is next to a normal grown chick.
31423_100_5090.jpg

You can't tell that anything was wrong with her. She is looking good and defends herself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom