Help me identify these pigeons

Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
East Texas
I have never had pigeons before and need some expert opinions.

Can anyone tell me what breed these are?
They are supposed to be a mated pair. They made a nest and laid 2 eggs right after I got them, but they kicked them out of the nest right about hatch date. I broke them open and they were not fertile.
They did take turns setting on the eggs.
Any suggestions as to which is male and female?

I have never seen them fly, when DH brought them home, he put them in with some chickens, and they just walked around on the ground and slept on the ground.
I now have them in a rabbit hutch, there is not any flight room, but they have a large area that they can be off the wire floor, and I also have objects in the wire portion of the cage, so they can get off the wire.
I looked for pigeon feed at my feed store, but they don't carry it. Can they be fed chicken feed? Does it have to be crumbles or can they be fed pellets?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Jean

92_im001497.jpg

92_im001495.jpg

They are Indian Fantails,They will eat crumbles but I mix scratch grains with mine,They should have no problems with flying as mine fly well.Usually make great parents.

Yes pellets are better or whole grains. Indian Fantails for sure, they fly but not very good. Easy prey for pedators. Need to trim tail feather to get fertile eggs, better show birds need trim more.

Some do produce fetile eggs, but best to trim.

Way to trim, start on sides cut straight back, make their tail look like a homers tail. Trim both male and female.

Male set on the eggs during the day 9 to 5 hen takes the night shift.

no cracked corn because of bacteria or something else?

So, if while setting, the one with the most white was off the nest from around 10:00 am to about 4:00 pm, that is the female, right?

Also, any helpful hints on care for these cuties? I just love to listen to him. I'm assuming it is the male that coo's all the time??????
What type pen would be best for them, as I said, when they were in a 20 foot long x 9 foot across, and 6 foot tall pen they did not fly at all. But they were in there with chickens, don't know if that would make any difference.

Jean

Last edited:
The first pictures of the indian fantail is a cock and the second pictures is a hen. I would suggest that you trim the side of the tail of the cock and hen. That way the egg will be firtile. I would recommend feeding them wheat and milo or pigeon grain if you can find them at your local feed store. Good luck with the pair.

Now I know how the "newbies" feel when they don't know about chickens!!!
I know nothing about pigeons...

Please explain how to trim their feathers in order to get fertile eggs, and why does this need to be done?

I can see how the tail feathers of the female would get in the way of breeding, but the males???

How do people show breeder pigeons if they have to have their tail feathers trimmed? I've never seen a pigeon that was trimmed. I never really paid much attention, though, so I guess they could have been trimmed and I didn't even know it.

Thanks,
Jean

Back
Top Bottom