Help me sex my Silkie

HaleyDurnin

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2019
Tacoma, Washington
I have a Silkie who is roughly over 5 weeks. Im starting to think its a male (because of the stance/ maybe streamer feathers?) but want other opinions as this is my first flock. Picture below.

Also, if this does happen to be a male, can somebody educate me on keeping eggs to eat even if they have been fertilized? We wanted all hens for eggs, not chicks, so Im hoping this wont put a damper on that. I have grown to love my little silkie and really don't want to have to adopt it out but my mom is worried about the eggs/crowing.
five.jpg

I can't help you with the sex, but fertilized eggs are perfectly fine to eat. There won't be any development unless the egg is incubated over 90 degrees. There's very little difference between a non fertilized egg and one that is fertilized, but has not developed. Just make sure you collect the eggs every day and it will be fine.

it’s still a bit early to tell for sure, but looking like a pullet to me. very hard to tell with silkies until 12+ weeks. no problem with eggs, but silkie crows can be just as loud as any.

It's too young to sex. Post pics of the comb, crest, and saddle at 12 weeks.

As for the eggs, you can keep a rooster without worrying about eating chicks. Here's a few facts:
1. When roosters mate the hens, the eggs laid will be fertilized.
2. In order for eggs to develop into chicks, they have to be incubated. Either in an incubator or under a broody hen.
3. Hens become broody when their instincts tell them that they want to hatch out young, and they need to set on eggs.
4. If your hen is broody, she will stop laying eggs, and be setting in the nest box all day, and all night. They will also lose their breast feathers, and get irritated if you get close to them.
5. When your hens lay eggs, sometimes they sit for a while on their eggs. This doesn't mean they are broody.
6. If you get worried, just remember that chicks don't start developing until they have been incubated for at least 14 hours. Even then, that's just when blood vessels start to form. So if something like that accidentally happens, just throw it out.
7. It is totally safe to eat eggs that have been fertilized. You will be able to see the bulls eye with a little ring around it. This is just what would develop into the embryo, and eventually a chick, if incubated. But, as said above, unless it's incubated for at least 14 hours, it won't start developing.

I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom