Help, moving chicks outside

I move mine out a week ago. They are 5-6 weeks and of course the day after they went out, we had a cold snap. It's been getting down to 42-45. No heat light and they did fine.

And you were completely right Jessica! I went out at 6 this morning and opened up the coop door and they all tumbled out, excited for another day outside!

So if anyone else is worried, my 7 week old chickens did fine in 43° weather without a heat lamp.
Yay! I think we are more worried about them than they are about us. Aren't we silly?

So, it's official. We are empty nesters. The chicks moved to the coop today.
roll.png
They are almost 5 weeks old and I can't believe they are ready. I have the heat lamp set up and they know how to snuggle. Our nights are still getting down to around 40.

All day they have been in the coop/run and are just as happy as can be. They all mastered the ladder to the henhouse and going in and back out to eat and drink.

It is pretty fun to watch them establishing their pecking order. I have a Barred Rock and an Aracauna/EE that are the smartest and bravest of the flock. It will be interesting to see who wins it. They both march to the beat of a different drum and neither backs down from the other.

Next my 18th year old son leaves. What is this momma going to do?
Congratulations! I've found I enjoy caring for and watching mine now that they are outside getting to be chickens instead of inside being conversation pieces and dust flingers!
wink.png
As for your 18 year old son, the only advice I can give you is that I strongly advise against trying to get a heat lamp over him and watching to see if he can navigate the stairs to his abode. Eighteen year olds can get a little testy about those things!
hide.gif

So, it's official. We are empty nesters. The chicks moved to the coop today.
roll.png
They are almost 5 weeks old and I can't believe they are ready. I have the heat lamp set up and they know how to snuggle. Our nights are still getting down to around 40.

All day they have been in the coop/run and are just as happy as can be. They all mastered the ladder to the henhouse and going in and back out to eat and drink.

It is pretty fun to watch them establishing their pecking order. I have a Barred Rock and an Aracauna/EE that are the smartest and bravest of the flock. It will be interesting to see who wins it. They both march to the beat of a different drum and neither backs down from the other.

Next my 18th year old son leaves. What is this momma going to do?

I so feel your pain there - my daughter will be graduating high school in two weeks and will be moving away to attend college.....I am going to be lost.

Congratulations! I've found I enjoy caring for and watching mine now that they are outside getting to be chickens instead of inside being conversation pieces and dust flingers!
wink.png
As for your 18 year old son, the only advice I can give you is that I strongly advise against trying to get a heat lamp over him and watching to see if he can navigate the stairs to his abode. Eighteen year olds can get a little testy about those things!
hide.gif
No heat lamp for that boy. I'm doing the opposite. In 4 weeks he gets on a plane to Alaska to work for the summer. Maybe he'll be back and maybe he won't. I'm trying to figure out how to make his room into the perfect chicken coop. Then there will be no room at the inn!

(Sorry honey. You will need to find your own apartment. There is no room for you here anymore). HeeHee!

I'm not sure that to do with my chicks because one is only 5 weeks while the other two are 8 weeks. The two bigger ones are definitely ready to go out in their coop in the barn, but what about the little one? Temps are in the high 50's and low 60's at night. They have been spending their days in an outdoor playpen. They are Silkies, so they huddle together at night. Do I need a heat lamp or will they be OK since the older ones will help to keep the young one warm? If I do use a heat lamp, will I need a 250W bulb? The coop is 5'x6' (to be expanded before winter). Thanks for your help.

I don’t have Silkies, just “regular” chickens, but I really don’t think that makes a difference in this. I regularly put 5 week old chicks in my grow-out coop which is not heated when the temperatures are around freezing. Mine are raised in a big brooder in the coop and the far reaches of that brooder can get pretty cool so they are mire used to the cold than I think yours are. But there is a big difference in freezing and upper 50’s too.

I really don’t think you need a heat lamp as long as you have decent draft protection. That means you don’t want a breeze blowing directly on them. Some air movement is good you just don’t want enough to ruffle feathers. As long as they have a place to go to so they can get themselves out of a wind they should be OK.

If you decide to use a heat lamp use a very low wattage bulb and put it in a corner. Be careful to not burn the coop down. Secure it very well. Give them all room to get away from it if it is too hot for them. I don’t know how warm it gets during the day but heat is almost certainly not required during the day.

Back
Top Bottom