Help!! My chicken has a floppy neck & can not stand properly!?

Pioneer girls

Hatching
Nov 4, 2020
Hi, I have a 5 month old Dominique chicken.
Last night when I put the chickens in their coop she was a little slow and when she was in she just stopped and half sat half stood with her head all the way down. We thought she was just very sleepy but the next morning, when I let them out again, she was still sitting like that? I picked her up and saw that her neck is all floppy like and she is very weak. She doesn't seem sick to me. I held her beak against the water nipples and she did drink some, I'm not really sure about her appetite, I mashed up some feed for her(homemade) and tried to let her eat but I'm not quite sure if the food actually went down her throat or if she just moved her beak to get the stuff out of there🤔. She doesn't peck, she just moves her lower beak up&down.
She can not move her neck at all, at least by herself she can't, and she's having a hard time sitting or standing(she leans on her head). She also puffs up her feathers really big. She can move her feet/legs and wings.
What's wrong with her?? How can I help her or heal her? Or should we just shoot her?😟
I'll attach a pic.

Hi, I have a 5 month old Dominique chicken.
Last night when I put the chickens in their coop she was a little slow and when she was in she just stopped and half sat half stood with her head all the way down. We thought she was just very sleepy but the next morning, when I let them out again, she was still sitting like that? I picked her up and saw that her neck is all floppy like and she is very weak. She doesn't seem sick to me. I held her beak against the water nipples and she did drink some, I'm not really sure about her appetite, I mashed up some feed for her(homemade) and tried to let her eat but I'm not quite sure if the food actually went down her throat or if she just moved her beak to get the stuff out of there🤔. She doesn't peck, she just moves her lower beak up&down.
She can not move her neck at all, at least by herself she can't, and she's having a hard time sitting or standing(she leans on her head). She also puffs up her feathers really big. She can move her feet/legs and wings.
What's wrong with her?? How can I help her or heal her? Or should we just shoot her?😟
I'll attach a pic.
I'm sorry about your pullet.
Is she pooping? What's that like?
Can you post some photos of her?
How long have you had her?

What are you feeding including treats?
Any chance she may have ingested rotten or moldy food/dead animal, got into rat poison, fertilizer, spilled motor oil - anything like that that you can think of?

I would work on getting her hydrated, watch if she's actually able to swallow water when you hold a cup up to her beak or if she's just holding it in her beak. If you have any poultry vitamins give those to her.

I'm sorry about your pullet.
Is she pooping? What's that like?
Can you post some photos of her?
How long have you had her?

What are you feeding including treats?
Any chance she may have ingested rotten or moldy food/dead animal, got into rat poison, fertilizer, spilled motor oil - anything like that that you can think of?

I would work on getting her hydrated, watch if she's actually able to swallow water when you hold a cup up to her beak or if she's just holding it in her beak. If you have any poultry vitamins give those to her.

I haven't actually seen her poop...there is something on her feathers at her "behind" and that's very green and shiny?
Not feeding any treats except table scraps, nothing in there that's moldy or toxic.
She doesn't have any access to any of that stuff either. She does swallow the water. I'll see if we have some electrolites laying around.
We have had her for about 2 - 3 weeks(the other hens too btw).

Often when I hold her head up she tries to walk but then stumbles over her head😥
First time it wouldn't upload the images hopefully it'll work now🙏

Attachments

• 20201104_173003.jpg
    20201104_173003.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201104_173022.jpg
    20201104_173022.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 26
It sounds like she has limber neck, which can be a form of wry neck or torticolis. Wry neck can be a symptom of a head injury, a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, and can be a symptom of certain diseases such as Mareks and some others. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Many times limber neck is seen in botulism, but the flaccid paralysis seen in that usually starts in the legs and feet, then quickly progresses up the spinal cord to the wings and eyelids.

I would continue to give her fluids and try feeding some wet mushy chicken feed and chopped egg. Give her 400 IU of vitamin E and some vitamin B complex with the bits of egg daily.

Good pointing out the comb and face being discolored. I would try to give her some electrolyte water. Is she still able to move her legs and wings?

I haven't actually seen her poop...there is something on her feathers at her "behind" and that's very green and shiny?
Not feeding any treats except table scraps, nothing in there that's moldy or toxic.
She doesn't have any access to any of that stuff either. She does swallow the water. I'll see if we have some electrolites laying around.
We have had her for about 2 - 3 weeks(the other hens too btw).
Often when I hold her head up she tries to walk but then stumbles over her head😥
First time it wouldn't upload the images hopefully it'll work now🙏
Do you have an existing flock and added the new ones to their pen?
What do you feed?

She's been drinking o.k. right - learned to use the nipple water station?

I would continue to get her hydrated. If your weather is cool, she may need to be moved where it's warmer for her too.

I'm sorry, she doesn't look very well, hopefully she will perk up.

Back
Top Bottom