Help! My hen’s vent smells really bad!

See the little icon at the top of the page that looks like two conversation balloons? Click on that and it will take you to a list of all the different forums. The second heading down is " Raising Backyard Chickens. " Under that heading is a list. Look for the title "Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries and Cures" and post your question there. Good luck!
OK sure will!👍🏻

See the little icon at the top of the page that looks like two conversation balloons? Click on that and it will take you to a list of all the different forums. The second heading down is " Raising Backyard Chickens. " Under that heading is a list. Look for the title "Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries and Cures" and post your question there. Good luck!
OK sure will!👍🏻

OK I posted it there!

Hiya, and welcome to BYC! :frow

Does she have white stuff on her rump? I’d get her going on probiotics regardless in case you’re right.

You could post this in our ER forum too for more help.

Welcome to BYC. It could be. Have you bathed her to remove any poop or discharge?

Welcome to BYC! Best of luck with your hen.

Ew! Have you looked at her closely to be sure she doesn't have maggots in or around there (flystrike)? Is she dirty/ poopy? You'll want to wear gloves to part the feathers and get a good close look.
Thanks everybody for your help!🙏🏻☺️

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

Sounds like she has vent gleet. You need to treat that with an antifungal. I use miconazole and give a 1/4 of a suppository orally once daily for 8 days. Keep her backside cleaned daily until things return to normal. You can also give her some ACV in her water during treatment and when things are over, supplement her with Greek yogurt or kefir to help reestablish a healthy gut flora.

Back
Top Bottom