HELP! My quail chicks are dying!

I used the only desk lamp I had. Most of them look better but two still are having trouble. What should I do?

With a standard lightbulb, thats probably to high and far away from the chicks. If you can you do anything to get it a little closer/lower, do it! Also don't put any food or water directly under the lamp. Sort of offset it to one side of the tub. That way they can move into and out of the warm spot. keeping the food and water away from the hottest point will prevent it from going bad, or chicks falling asleep and drowning in water where the temps are comfortable.

Edited to add:

The chicks should lay down comfortably. They will only stand under the light bulb if they are still cold. That heat source should be closer.

Last edited:
Most of them are standing under it. I did put the feeders and water away from the lamp. I will lower the heat source. I will look around to see if I have a thermometer.

They are still huddled to the center under the lamp. So probably still a little cold. Also, when they are that young, to ensure they are feeding, I dump some food on the floor near/around the food dish. Its a bit messy, but they will learn to scratch and peck at it. Better that they eat when they are that young, and not worry about waste. If there is any draft or possibility of one, it might be worth covering the open sides a little(cardboard or light blanket). Make sure there is some air flow, but it could also help retain some heat in the tub for them, which I am pretty sure they still need.

Did you get a thermometer in there yet? Any thermometer will help you get an idea of how close you are to ideal temps.

I have not gotten a thermometer yet. Will get one as soon as possible. I already spread feed around an area in the brooder. I would post a picture of it but I have a quail standing in feed as my avatar.

I will keep you guys posted on how they are.
smile.png

I wouldn't cover it without having a temperature controller. Just move the lamp a little closer. They shouldn't be hanging out under it ether. Just in & out.

Back
Top Bottom