HELP my Turkey poult's leg looks broken!

Mayfiel511

Songster
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
New Jersey
One of my 8week old Turkey poult's was fine one day and looked like this. Is this the splay leg that I hear about or is it broken? Is he salvageable? I hate to have to cull him so young. Should I splint it or tape the legs together? I don't think nutrition is the issue. They are getting a 23% Turkey grower feed and are on soft pine shaving bedding in their brooder. Please help!
Screenshot_20190529-073130_Video Player.jpg

One of my 8week old Turkey poult's was fine one day and looked like this. Is this the splay leg that I hear about or is it broken? Is he salvageable? I hate to have to cull him so young. Should I splint it or tape the legs together? I don't think nutrition is the issue. They are getting a 23% Turkey grower feed and are on soft pine shaving bedding in their brooder. Please help!View attachment 1793550
It is not splay leg and treatment for splay leg will not work. It does look like a slipped tendon and yes it is caused by poor nutrition. Perosis (slipped tendon) can be caused by a thiamine and niacin deficiency. If you can manipulate the tendon back into place, you then need to find a way to secure it in place by fashioning some sort of splint and taping it in place.

Providing vitamin B complex made up at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule dissolved in one gallon of water can provide the necessary thiamine and niacin. Make it the only source of water. Give it to all of your poults and not just the injured one. It should be made fresh daily.

It is not splay leg and treatment for splay leg will not work. It does look like a slipped tendon and yes it is caused by poor nutrition. Perosis (slipped tendon) can be caused by a thiamine and niacin deficiency. If you can manipulate the tendon back into place, you then need to find a way to secure it in place by fashioning some sort of splint and taping it in place.

Providing vitamin B complex made up at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule dissolved in one gallon of water can provide the necessary thiamine and niacin. Make it the only source of water. Give it to all of your poults and not just the injured one. It should be made fresh daily.
I'll try that thank you. How do you know if what you're giving them is sufficient before injury occurs. It's quite frustrating, I thought that I was doing the right thing by buying a reputable organic feed designed for speciffically for turkeys and give them extra greens, sprouts etc.

Last edited:
I'll try that thank you. How do you know if what you're giving them is sufficient before injury occurs. It's quite frustrating, I thought that I was doing the right thing by buying a reputable organic feed designed for specifically for turkeys and give them extra greens, sprouts etc.
The organic feeds that I have checked out are usually deficient in proper nutrition for turkeys. They tend to be deficient in the lysine, methionine and niacin and protein concentrations. The other problem is that if you buy your poults from a chain store, they have likely been given a poor start because the chain stores typically feed them a poor quality chick starter.

The organic feeds that I have checked out are usually deficient in proper nutrition for turkeys. They tend to be deficient in the lysine, methionine and niacin and protein concentrations. The other problem is that if you buy your poults from a chain store, they have likely been given a poor start because the chain stores typically feed them a poor quality chick starter.
I'm using New Country Organics and I got the poult's from a hatchery so I'm just not sure what happened but as the twist seems to be from the hip and not the knee I've splinted the legs together in hopes that it and the B complex water will be enough to help it heal. If it does work I think the kiddos will end up with a new pet as can't see myself harvesting the poor thing after all that. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom