Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.8%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.5%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 100 24.6%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 33 8.1%

• Total voters
Pics
I don't think anyone who raises chickens would think "I think I will raise them on a diet of junk food." Feed them pizza if it's left over. They will eat what they want/can eat. My family has had backyard chickens for generations...we don't worry if the food is "organic, gluten free, low calorie, or lactose free." LOL. Feed them an accessional Chick-Fil-A chikn samich...they are actually picky eaters.

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
Moderation yes. Probably should have put a few of those pieces in the freezer to treat them again at a later date.
I have no issues with you giving your chickens some goodies - not any worse than those who keep a scrap bucket or compost, imho.

I've given mine bits of pizza, some bread ends, etc. sparingly and haven't found it to be a problem.

I think they will be o.k.
Everyone likes pizza! I’ve had backyard pet chickens almost all my life, over 40 years and have always thrown table food out for my birds. From pizza, to a thanksgiving turkey carcass, They love it! It makes them happy. Their eggs are beautiful. Be more concerned of ovarian cancer from egg laying than high salt from table scraps.

Hmm. I don't think we humans should be eating these let alone chickens. Too much salt and fat.

I've kept chooks for about 40 years. i feed them all our left overs (no waste - they turn them into eggs) even spoiled stuff and dairy and their own egg shells. I assume they won't eat what isn't good for them - they've got brains. And they all die eventually, but as far as i can tell, of old age not poisoning or diarrhea. And any food-matter is good for our sandy soil. Virginia

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
I feed mine pizza all the time, hasn’t seemed to hurt them at all.

I'm an interloper from the Duck forum - we give all scraps out to the ducks, geese or boar. No matter what it is or the state of it, somethings eating it. Our ducks in particular are keen compost raiders of their own volition too. Its difficult to imagine a cheeky piece of pizza is substantially worse than months old moldy crap that they actually fight over.....

M
Everything that we do not consume goes to my flock.
Beef tallow, soup, pizza, cheese, their own eggs that have spoiled, steamed / baked / roasted / any kinds of vegetables and fruits.
Old cake.
Ice cream.
Their poops are always consistent, they never have any issues moulting and they are the happiest friendliest chickens around.
I have never had issues with sour crop, diarrhea, poor feather condition or any other food related problem.
They’re like little garbage disposals.
I would tell her that meat, cheese and bread are all tasty treats for you and the chickens alike.

they don't like me at all because I bother them too much they only like me when I have treats(broccoli) i always pick them up hug and kiss the play wit their comb and they get mad
I do that with my fisty rooster and then put him down and he puffs up and makes like a growl and eyes me up. He is so mad... Its hilarious! He is a Timmy Tough Guy hahaha

My birds are my composters! Fortunately, they don't get what doesn't get eaten in the house, every day, since there are days when everything that is served gets eaten. They even eat my dog's leftovers (he's in his last days on this earth, getting ready to pass over to the Rainbow Bridge, so there are days when he doesn't feel like eating) so they'll get them. Sometimes the girls will wipe out the treats, and other times, they'll wipe out their feed, first, and then eat the treats. I leave it up to them. Chickens are pretty smart... they don't eat EVERYTHING. Whatever they don't eat, gets thrown in the garbage, because it usually means that whatever they won't eat, is pretty bad and I wouldn't want to put that in my compost pile anyway.

Back
Top Bottom