HELP!! Need tips on introducing a house duck to an existing outside flock.

We had just got her today. When dark came outside they both got pretty vocal so they are in the bathtub tonight. It would have been Missy's first time outside all night and was Maggie's first night away from her flock. We might try outside tomorrow night or soon.

I know this might sound like a crazy question, but do you usually turn the lights off in your bathroom at night, or do you leave her a way to see? I was just wondering if it was the dark that made her fidgety or the nighttime sounds. I know when we first put our ducks outside after they had been in a lit brooder for their first couple of months, they were a little vocal too and seemed confused by the dark. It soon got better though after a couple of nights when they had adjusted. Hope this transition goes smooth for them both. Keep us posted.

When missy is inside and on the bed with me she usually hangs out around my feet.
although when the lights go out she migrates quickly to beside my head, usually near my shoulder and peeps a little distress sound as she comes. She doesn't like the dark at all!

We installed a light and things are much better.

When missy is inside and on the bed with me she usually hangs out around my feet.
although when the lights go out she migrates quickly to beside my head, usually near my shoulder and peeps a little distress sound as she comes. She doesn't like the dark at all!

We installed a light and things are much better.

Great. So, I'm assuming she's adjusting well outside with her new buddy?

They are inseparable. When Missy takes flight a couple feet, Maggie runs to catch up. Maggie is also learning to trust us as she came from a wild flock. We get a little closer to her everyday. She will eat some food we toss at her, but not from our hands. It will just take time.

We took the chance of her small size that she was a female. She laid her first egg to confirm it this past week. Not sure what breed she is mixed with, but there is some runner in there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom