Help! Neighbors are complaining!

I think its bad the neighbour did not have the courtesy to come and see you about it before writing the letter. Are they not friendly with you anyway?

I can understand that you are upset about that situation, but also think about the neighbour if you chickens are noisy.

Could you get rid of the roosters and some hens? Just keep a small number of your best hens. If you told them you would do that for him, then perhaps he will forget about you stopping keeping chickens altogether?

As others have stated, have a conversation with the neighbor. Maybe you can work something out.

I would also recommend checking out not only your covenants, but also state law. Here is why I suggest that. The community I live in does not allow "livestock"; however, the community does not define "livestock". Therefore, the definition falls to the state. In Ohio "livestock" does not include poultry or rabbits (for some reason poultry are treated seperately as poultry and rabbits are "backyard pets"). Due to this we are allowed to have both chickens and rabbits.

Roger
I don't know about Ohio laws but the general concensus in the US is that poultry is livestock. Pretty much all Land Assessors will tell you that poultry is livestock. Any animal on a farm or ranch that is raised or has byproducts for profit is livestock. I have seen several fights by people claiming that their pet goats, pet cows, pet pigs, or PET CHICKENS are just that.... PETS. They will claim that their "pets" are named and they do not use them or their byproducts for profit. You can go down this road if you wish but your legal fees may pile up and the end result may not be very favorable.

hide.gif

Yikes . . . this is the reason I waited for our local laws to change before getting chickens. I feared something like this occurring.

Yes, you're going to need to communicate with them face-to-face. It's harder for people to say "no" in person. Guess they sent a letter so that they could create a "paper trail" - evidence of communication to you before taking this up the chain of command.

If you have roosters, I'd get rid of them right away so as to reduce the noise. Would suggest you reduce your overall number of birds to more like what you had previously - before the neighbor began to complain. That would be proof that you're working to resolve the issue.

Then I'd see what you had to do to change the rules in your neighborhood so that chickens would be allowed. The fact that you'd not seen rules previously is interesting. When were the rules made? Who made them? What legal power do they have? Shouldn't you have been advised of them prior to buying/leasing your home? Anything in your settlement papers or lease regarding these rules? All questions you might want to find answers to before you proceed.

Believe there's a section on BYC regarding how to get local laws changed to allow chickens. You might find some good info there.

Good luck!

If all else fails, go the guilt trip route and explain that by his complaining, your kids are very sad and that he would be ruining a family interest.

I care about my chickens as much as my dogs so I understand that you are most likely very upset. My idea is play music outside really loud just to prove a point. If that does not work get a dog that barks loud because they can not tell you that you cant have dogs right? I have some strange ideas I know but you dont have to use them.
Good Luck!

I care about my chickens as much as my dogs so I understand that you are most likely very upset. My idea is play music outside really loud just to prove a point. If that does not work get a dog that barks loud because they can not tell you that you cant have dogs right? I have some strange ideas I know but you dont have to use them.
Good Luck!
I think that instead of the above "advice" you approach this in a mature manner. Go talk to them face to face instead of sending a note or email. Part of the problem with written (or typed) correspondence is that you can't read another person's tone of voice. The recipient is likely to read it in a tone that reflects their mood or attitude at the time. If I get a friendly yet teasing email from someone when I'm in a bad mood, I'm not going to take it that way. I'll likely see it as offensive because that's the "tone" I'll be reading into it. As far as getting a barking dog - they may not tell you you can't have a dog, but many places do have noise ordinances. Try to keep things on good terms with the neighbors. You never know when you may need them in an emergency (this coming from someone whose house burned to the ground 10 years ago, and I feel as though we'll never be able to repay our neighbors for their caring and kindness) If chickens are against the neighborhood ordinance or covenant, then apologize to your kids, get them a quiet puppy, rehome your chickens and get to work to change the rules. I hope things will work out for you.

Like everyone else stated speak with the neighbor, Be nice remember it seems as though you maybe in the wrong with your local code, Ask him if there is something you could do that would help, Maybe get rid of the Roo's and cut back on the Hens, ( Find out what noise is really bothering him ) You could also try to see if chickens are allowed or if they fall under the banded list, If there allowed then I would go and get a dozen or so Guineas, ( Just playing ).

We do not have an HOA or neighborhood board of any kind. I don't know who would enforce the covenants, or how I would go about changing them. It looks like that will take some researching. They were put in place in 1986 when the neighborhood was first built, but we have only been here for 6 1/2 years. We do not have any roosters. This is what I wrote back to my neighbor:

Quote:
And her response:

Quote:
I do not know this particular neighbor very well, but when I have talked with her, she has always been nice. However, I have had a vague feeling over the past several months that they don't like us very much. No real evidence of this, just that vague feeling. So maybe the chickens have been bothering them for quite a while and they just haven't said anything until now. So I will try the solution I suggested, and in the mean time see if I can figure out how to change the covenants. I should be able to get some support, as several neighbors buy our surplus eggs from the kids and at least one other neighbor has talked to me about wanting chickens as well. Plus there is one neighbor with goats. Once spring arrives, maybe I will invite the neighbors over for dessert or something to talk about the chickens, as it appears they are not really a problem in the colder weather. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Just to play the devil's advocate.

16 is quite a flock of chickens to have as close neighbors. If you have continually added to your flock, there might be a concern that you will continue to add to your flock. 16 girls are going to be much more noisy than 3-5.

Maybe if you reduced your flock, it would help.

I don't know how big an area you are talking about, but 16 is a fair number of birds for a back yard flock, with close neighbors.

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom