HELP - NOT Vent Prolapse! Pics!!! Update!

Quote:
Are you sure there is no egg stuck in there?
I have a hen that has done that a couple of times, she actually lays an egg without the shell, then she'll get all swollen and sit around puffed up with a red bum.

I've washed her off, made sure there is nothing in there that I can get out to help the situation, mostly I've only ever been able to release some poop. then wash clean with cold water and pretty much wait it out.

Sounds like its an egg laying issue to me and not a prolapse.

Did you see the pictures? Does this look like what you've seen before? The only reason why I don't think there's an egg is because I found the bloody egg she laid today in the coop. It was a little larger than usual - but not huge.
If I try and push the mass back in how hard is too hard and how would I know if I need to try and get that mass out or leave it?

If it is actually a prolapse it will look lie her insides turned inside-out. That is what you would push back in. If it is a swelling I guess I would just wash it up in cool water and keep her quiet until tomorrow. Maybe a little prep H? Terri O

Ok, I cleaned her bottom area the best I could. She's in a box with pine chips in my office. It's the only place that she'll be safe inside where the dogs can't get to her. She's eating some yogurt now.
I'll check on her in the morning and see if things have changed at all for the better or worse.
Hope she'll pull through and get better.

Last edited:
caf.gif

Checked on her this morning. The bleeding appears to have stopped but if anything it looks worse. It looks like more inside matter is showing. Not sure if she's still tearing or if it is actually starting to "buldge out" more. She's not acting wierd. Her poops are normal looking, but HUGE! Another wierd thing is that she has no poop stuck on her like all of these other pics of prolapse.
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I fear this is not going to get better....but worse.

I cleaned the area the best I could with slightly warm water. Then I put sugar on the area. I don't have the iodine or prep H that others have said to try so I'm going with what I have here.

Well as long as she is kept warm, clean and is eating for you, you've done everything I can think of short of taking her to the vet. It may look worse before it gets better. I hope she improves for you. Keep us posted.

OK, I checked her out really good just now and have confirmed that this is not her vent area. The vent is up a couple inches from the tear. She is not bleeding. However, I felt under her back end where the tear is and it feels pretty warm. Could she have a fever?
She is acting fine. A little more calm that usual. What should be my next step. I tried to pull the skin together a little to see if it would close and she didn't want any part of that. Can I give her Asprin now. What about some diluted Gatorade? Should I just leave her be and check on her every now and then for changes? I'm anxious to see if she lays today. The egg yesterday was pretty bloody. Wider and larger than usual too.
I don't understand what would have caused this or why it's below the vent. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom