Help on New Homestead

Wolfmoon

Hatching
Oct 27, 2015
I recently purchased a homestead in North Georgia which came
with barn, pond, and unexpectedly with three geese and three Muscovy ducks.
I have no information about how they were cared for or even what
breed the geese are.

1st - does anyone recognize the breed?
2nd - how should I should I care for them through the winter?
(feed, weather & predator protection)
3rd - I assume the ducks need the same treatment?

Thanks in advance for any information!

@Wolfmoon Welcome to BYC and Congrats on your new homestead and ready made flock.. Your Muscovy's are beautiful looks like a drake and 2 ducks.

Your geese look like possibly 2 Toulouse and maybe Brown Chinese, Can't tell by pics you posted sex if you can get some better pics of the front of them.

Geese and ducks are pretty much cared for the same way. They all need to be locked up at night because they are high on predators menu and they have no way to protect themselves.

A secure barn or coop with good ventilation is best make sure there are no breaches anywhere because some preds like mink and weasel can get through 1" wire and raccoons can rip open chicken wire. So 1/2 inch hardware wire is best for covering any holes and windows. .

they can eat the same thing an all flock feed would be good and some nice greens off and on would be appreciated. Mine like Romaine lettuce, collards and cabbage, kale is another favorite. They always need fresh water deep enough to wash out their eyes and faces. My Muscovy's love tomatoes my geese not so much but all love whole corn and I usually offer this in the afternoons on winter days to help keep them warm over night. along with their all flock.
They are lovely birds your blessed to have them and I am sure they are happy to have someone caring for them again.

Some info. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

Last edited:
Miss Lydia ~ thank you for the wealth of information and the kind words. I fear they have been without a caretaker for so
long I may not be able to entice them into the barn at night. Any ideas? Either way thank you!

Miss Lydia ~ thank you for the wealth of information and the kind words. I fear they have been without a caretaker for so
long I may not be able to entice them into the barn at night. Any ideas? Either way thank you!
@Wolfmoon Are you feeding them now? one way maybe to start feeding them at the barn door and gradually over several days to a week take food inside just to door first and then a little more everyday till you have them completely inside then once they are all inside and far enough from the door they won't bolt back out close the door make sure to give them something they will really love which is Whole corn Mine would probably do a song and dance for whole corn. lol Geese love calmness and for their lives to remain the same so anything new is hard for them, but if you start each day offering a little corn before you know you'll have them following you around. Just have a designated place for food and water close to the barn then you start the training. Geese and ducks herd real well too so you may even want to put up some temporary fencing at front of the barn with a make shift gate, then train them to go in each evening to eat once they are use to going in it will be easy for you to walk slowly behind them to herd them inside every night. Do these suggestions seem feasible? Since they have been on their own for a while at one time there may have been more geese and ducks and they have been picked off by preds. But either way these that are left need protection whether they know it or not.Mine also recognize the container I keep their snacks in, so I use a container with a lid if they are off foraging all I have to do is bring the can out and shake and whistle before I know it everyone is standing and waiting for their snack

Last edited:
Lydia,

Thank you again for your suggestions. The flock have been foraging in the pasture at feeding times and living by the
shore of the pond in the evening prior to my arrival. I've scattered some corn for them several times.....the ducks
take to it right away, but the geese are suspicious just like you suggested. The barn is now closed off for safety of
new equipment, but there is an egress from the outside to a stall. I will put down straw and begin feeding them
near the barn...then in the stall. Large hawks are beginning to appear along with the falling leaves. I think the former
owner was scaring them off with the sound of a 410 shotgun. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Lydia,

Thank you again for your suggestions. The flock have been foraging in the pasture at feeding times and living by the
shore of the pond in the evening prior to my arrival. I've scattered some corn for them several times.....the ducks
take to it right away, but the geese are suspicious just like you suggested. The barn is now closed off for safety of
new equipment, but there is an egress from the outside to a stall. I will put down straw and begin feeding them
near the barn...then in the stall. Large hawks are beginning to appear along with the falling leaves. I think the former
owner was scaring them off with the sound of a 410 shotgun. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
We have hawks too some passing through on their way south others live here permanent.Big red tails sometimes 3 together are circling over the property, They are always looking for an easy meal..Thanks for keeping me updated Hope it works out. .

I have successfully gotten the ducks and geese to eat in the open barn area in the evenings.
Feeding them a mix of layer pellets and a little cracked corn. Set up a stall with straw bedding
roosting area and water to eventually lure them into. I think we're on our way!

When the pasture is all dormant, do you recommend feeding them some timothy and
green kitchen scraps?

Wolf Moon

I have successfully gotten the ducks and geese to eat in the open barn area in the evenings.
Feeding them a mix of layer pellets and a little cracked corn. Set up a stall with straw bedding
roosting area and water to eventually lure them into. I think we're on our way!

When the pasture is all dormant, do you recommend feeding them some timothy and
green kitchen scraps?

Wolf Moon
I think they would appreciate some yes. I had to stop offering the hay because I had a chicken get impacted crop from eating it so I think anyway, but greens they will love.

Great sounds like your on your way to having them inside soon and you can breathe knowing they are safe.

Thanks for update.

Looks like the dark gray one is a Touloose, the other two might be Africans, hard to tell from the shot. Too heavy for Chinese... I feed my geese a combo of chicken pellets, scratch (3 2ay ) and Feed wheat. (when the pastures are picked over ) They will eat grass throughout the year. Good tender grass is their main diet. I only toss a handfull at night in their night pen ,except in in winter , when the grass goes dormat. Ducks need more animal protein, but the pellets and some grain is good. I just give my ducks more pellets 2/3- 1/3 grain... since I show some> if they get outside daily, they will suppliment their own diet well. The geese should scare off the hawks just by their size. I have lots around, but have geese with my ducks and have not ever had an attack. My pens are hotwired at night, no losses. And my property is fieldfenced and the birds are inside fenced pastures. Daytime predators: dogs are the biggies. Night time, coyotes, coons, possum, fox, etc. Never seen or had any wesals around.... Welcome to North Ga. I am in the Rome/Summerville area....

Back
Top Bottom