HELP - or I'll prolly throw away

hailstorm97

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
Midwest
Day 7 and I decided to candle my Coturnix Quail eggs. I think 4/18 are empty (not fertile) Here are the pics of those I think I'm gonna toss:

There are also 3/18 that I think have blood rings or haulted development. But I'm not sure, so here are 2 pics of those, wanted to hurry and disturb eggs the least:

Are these the infamous blood rings I always hear about? Should I toss them? I self turn 5 times a day also and always wash my hands before and after but I have heard this can also be caused by bacteria on the egg or over handling. Oh how I've tried so hard to only candle when necessary so I hope I haven't affected them any. I think I might be doing okay though, since I still believe I have 11 well developing eggs. And since I ordered the eggs online from halfway across the country I guess thats pretty good. I ordered 12 and received 18 too. So only having 11 good at this point is not bad at all. I will post a picture in a bit of one of the ones I believe to be well (next time I turn, they've had enough for now lol). Till then I could reaaly use some help with the ones I might toss.

Last edited:
relax its no big deal if a few infertile get left In the incubator for couple of weeks. Coturnix Quail are a pain to candle as the pattern on the egg can make it difficult so if you are unsure and nothing smells then there's no hurry to do anything. I would guess the first 4 are infertile and the last pics isn't a blood ring yet but like I said I wouldn't be in a hurry.

Check your air pockets if possible as I can not see one in the picture which may mean your humidity is high (Coturnix eggs can be difficult to see the air pocket)

As for handling there's lots of different theory's. Personally my incubator recovers quickly from being opened so im not bothered about how many times I handle the eggs. If your incubator is slow to recover then try to keep it to once a day and back up to incubating temp with in 30-45 minutes (hens leave there nests to eat so the eggs are designed to handle short periods of lower temp)

Im actually doing a dry hatch. Keeping my humidity 25 - 45 % until day 14 and I have 2 readings on the humidity. I keep them big side up as well. My incubator also comes back to temp very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom