Help! Peacock reacting after injection...

We really need a professional to explan it to us. So far the only coccidia I have seen in my flock has been in guineas keets and chicken chicks, and I have had peachicks with them when they were sick. The three peas that UC Davis necropsied were not mine, they were dead bodies that I took from the feedstore and shipped.

-Kathy

Absolutely!  Wish we could get someone interested in studying our birds :caf

There is an avian pathologist on BYC, I'll send him a message and ask if he's up to it.

-Kathy

Not correct!

Amprol 128 is the same as 20% Corid powder, both are powders, both are 20% amprolium (200mg per gram). Doesn't matter what you get as long as the active ingredient is amprolium. Make sense?

Sulmet kills *two* of the nine *chicken* coccidia and *two* of the seven *turkey* coccidia and there is no info that I could find on what peafowl coccidia it kills, but I'm pretty sure it will treat most of them. People on BYC say that amprolium (Corid and Amprol) kills the nine strains of the chicken coccidia, but I have not seen any properly documented studies to support that.

-Kathy

Quote:
Edited to say this:
Not correct!

Amprol 128 is the same as 20% Corid powder, both are powders, both are 20% amprolium (200mg per gram). Doesn't matter what you get as long as the active ingredient is amprolium. Make sense?

Sulmet kills *two* of the nine *chicken* coccidia and *two* of the seven *turkey* coccidia and there is no info that I could find on what peafowl coccidia it kills. Sulmet probably works on some peafowl coccidia, just not sure which ones. People on BYC say that amprolium (Corid and Amprol) kills the nine strains of the chicken coccidia, but I have not seen any properly documented studies to support that.

Sulmet is effective on:
  • Chickens - Eimeria tenella, Eimeria necatrix
  • Turkeys - Eimeria meleagrimitis, Eimeria adenoeides

For those that like pictures:
From Penn State Poultry Health Handbook
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/agrs52.pdf

-Kathy

Description of Eimeria pavonina (coccidia) of peafowl in Germany.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22545554
Hauck R1, Hafez HM.
Author information

• 1Institute of Poultry Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Free University Berlin, Königsweg 63, 14163 Berlin, Germany. [email protected]
Abstract

There are only a few reports about the occurrence of coccidia in peafowl and no reports about the occurrence of Eimeria spp. in peafowl kept in Europe. Here, we describe the occurrence of Eimeria pavonina in diseased peafowl from Germany. In January 2011, one young peacock kept in an aviary showed a marked depression. No parasites were detected in samples from the diseased bird, but in samples of birds from the same and other aviaries, coccidian counts were between 400/g and 66,000/g. All peacocks were treated with toltrazuril. After treatment, the clinical condition of the diseased bird improved but, two weeks afterwards, other birds in the aviary were still shedding coccidia in their feces. Based on morphology, the coccidia were identified as E. pavonina. Parts of the 18s rRNA gene and the cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (cox-1) gene were sequenced. A phylogenetic tree based on the 18s rRNA sequence placed the Eimeria sp. from peafowl closest to Eimeria spp. found in pheasants and partridges as well as to Eimeria meleagrimitis. A phylogenetic tree based on the sequence of cox-1 in contrast suggested a closer relationship to Eimeria necatrix and Eimeria tenella.
PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://books.google.com/books?id=QN...wBQ#v=onepage&q=coccidia in gamebirds&f=false

"The most pathogenic coccidia of game birds are Eimeria colchici and Eimeria legionensis, which inhabit the caeca of pheasants and partridges, respectively."

-Kathy

Last edited:
Tylan dosing info:

According to that, the most a large adult male would get is 1.2ml. If I were to give the max to my 15 month old boy that I just weighed, he would get no more than 0.9ml per injection.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Note that all say to inject in the muscle (IM)

Last edited:
Good to know about the Tylan and IM injecting!  My bird is showing no improvement with the Baytril.  I will probably switch to theTylan tomorrow and give them three days to respond.

If all of the antibiotics don't work, you could try treating for a fungal infection, and I'd be more than happy to send you some ketoconazole.

-Kathy

If all of the antibiotics don't work, you could try treating for a fungal infection, and I'd be more than happy to send you some ketoconazole.

-Kathy

Thank you, it will either be that or donate them to science.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom