Help please is this a allergy to shavings

Thanks for replying floor candy .I'm a brand new quail owner- literally 2 weeks so Im not sure if she's even a "she" we purchased 10 tuxedos and only 2 we're supposed to be male but I've actually caught 5 trying to submit the other 5 and immediately removed those trying to mount and put them in a cage by themselves..the males feet are always dangerous ly close to the females face so I'm assuming she got clawed.. but now that u mention it I'm not even sure how to tell who a boy or girl other than the seller said listen for them crow or see if any mount the others then there's ur males so I'm literally brand new at this..would u have any suggestions on how to care for her judging by the picture I posted cuz I do not have any vets in 4 surrounding states that treat quail..if u have any tips I'd greatly appreciate any and all help.. thanks:)and thanks from r letting me know they only kick males
With tuxedos it’s more difficult than some other colors/patterns. You’ll want to listen for crowing, and if they get enough light - 14+ hours, the males will get a bulge just behind their vent. If you press the bulge, foam will come out, and you’ll know for sure it’s a boy. As you get more skilled at vent sexing, you’ll notice that hens have a wider vent and it’s like a wide oval, the males have a smaller vent, and it looks like a small o, but the hens’ vents don’t get really wide until they lay an egg for the first time.

The injury to the eyes is much more likely to be the cause of the eye swelling, and the new pine shavings are more likely to be pure coincidence. Just because they both occurred prior to the eye inflammation doesn't mean they both caused it.

You've been giving your quail the proper treatment for eye injury with inflammation, and your quail could be also fighting a minor infection in the eyes. Keep up what you've been doing, twice a day flushes with saline and the eye ointment.

If there isn't any improvement over the next few days, you might want to ask your feed store for terramycin eye antibiotic. Continue with it as you were with the flush and the ointment until the eyes clear up.

The injury to the eyes is much more likely to be the cause of the eye swelling, and the new pine shavings are more likely to be pure coincidence. Just because they both occurred prior to the eye inflammation doesn't mean they both caused it.

You've been giving your quail the proper treatment for eye injury with inflammation, and your quail could be also fighting a minor infection in the eyes. Keep up what you've been doing, twice a day flushes with saline and the eye ointment.

If there isn't any improvement over the next few days, you might want to ask your feed store for terramycin eye antibiotic. Continue with it as your were with the flush and the ointment until the eyes clear up.
Thank you so much for offering some help..so 2x daily with the flushes and Neosporin then if not better after a few days get her some terramycin?? Is that typically something from Amazon or my local tractors supply and again thank you so much for reading my post and offering some help

Thank you so much for offering some help..so 2x daily with the flushes and Neosporin then if not better after a few days get her some terramycin?? Is that typically something from Amazon or my local tractors supply and again thank you so much for reading my post and offering some help
Is this the correct terramycin
In case I need it is this the correct terramycin for her eye if the saline and Neosporin doesn't work

If there isn't any improvement over the next few days, you might want to ask your feed store for terramycin eye antibiotic. Continue with it as you were with the flush and the ointment until the eyes clear up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210928-232304~2.png
    Screenshot_20210928-232304~2.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for replying floor candy .I'm a brand new quail owner- literally 2 weeks so Im not sure if she's even a "she" we purchased 10 tuxedos and only 2 we're supposed to be male but I've actually caught 5 trying to submit the other 5 and immediately removed those trying to mount and put them in a cage by themselves..the males feet are always dangerous ly close to the females face so I'm assuming she got clawed.. but now that u mention it I'm not even sure how to tell who a boy or girl other than the seller said listen for them crow or see if any mount the others then there's ur males so I'm literally brand new at this..would u have any suggestions on how to care for her judging by the picture I posted cuz I do not have any vets in 4 surrounding states that treat quail..if u have any tips I'd greatly appreciate any and all help.. thanks:)and thanks from r letting me know they only kick males
The other 4 quail I have are quartinix (but they r kept on the complete other side of the property (got 14 quail total but 10 tuxedos and 4 quartinix)

The other 4 quail I have are quartinix (but they r kept on the complete other side of the property (got 14 quail total but 10 tuxedos and 4 quartinix)
Tuxedo is just a pattern of markings, several types of quail can have tuxedo patterns, but yours are most likely Coturnix. Your quail are probably all the same type, just different colors/patterns. Among the various species of quail, Coturnix and button quail have probably the most wide variety of colors and patterns.

Tuxedo is just a pattern of markings, several types of quail can have tuxedo patterns, but yours are most likely Coturnix. Your quail are probably all the same type, just different colors/patterns. Among the various species of quail, Coturnix and button quail have probably the most wide variety of colors and patterns.
Thanks I didn't no that they're were various types..just going off what the seller told me..the "courtinix" I got r big hefty brown with black specks all over their chest & belly.. I thought the tuxedos we're just a certain kind all to their selves..:)

Back
Top Bottom