Help please - Laying Hen Hurt Her Leg

FarmerFergie

Chirping
Apr 3, 2022
Hi All! One of my hens mysteriously hurt her leg. They were out in their pasture as usual then when I checked on them about an hour later she was limping a little. We looked her over a few times that day and no visible cause. By Day 3 she was much better, almost walking normal again. But the next morning she wasn't using the leg at all and just laying down. We looked her over again and no visible damage, no swelling, no cuts, nothing. Compared to her other leg it was normal looking. I put her in a kennel inside the coop to rest and still no change. I tried wrapping her leg and splinting it to reduce movement, but still no improvement. I have referenced books and searched the internet like crazy. I keep her super comfortable and feed her very well. She lays eggs almost daily. It's now been a month like this. I'm very concerned. I've called so many vets in our area and only 2 will see her, but it's $99 just to look at her and starting at $350 for Xrays. This is very expensive for me. I'm at a loss, has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Does she have movement in the leg or toes? Will she grip a finger with her toes? Is she able to stand at all, or if you lift her, can she put her leg down? Was there any swelling, green bruising, or redness in the leg? Do you have a rooster who was mating her?

I agree with @nuthatched. Some vitamin therapy might be helpful. As far as what vitamins, I wouldn't know which ones to give. Perhaps there's some more experienced members who knows the vitamins better that can help.

Is your flock vaccinated against Marek's disease? Has she shown any symptoms other than this leg injury?

Reading your post, you sound like you're doing all the things I would be suggesting to do. On checking her for injuries, have you compared both legs then to now? Try gently, but kind of tightly, feeling her whole injured leg: up and down the shank and upper leg, thigh and the rotation, and the joints. Watch/listen/feel her reaction the whole time. She won't like you feeling her over like that, but you're looking for a reaction that might give an indication of where the pain might be. By feeling tightly, you might be able to feel something might be swelling (or a tumor-like growth.) I would continue making sure she's doing minimal movement and no jumping and down from things. How it's been longer than three weeks and it's not a broken bone, I'd looking for a vitamin treatment.

Does she have movement in the leg or toes? Will she grip a finger with her toes? Is she able to stand at all, or if you lift her, can she put her leg down? Was there any swelling, green bruising, or redness in the leg? Do you have a rooster who was mating her?
No grip or movement in the toes or foot. She still uses the leg to scratch the ground, the top joint seems to work fine. She doesn't stand on it at all. No swelling, not even a little, her legs are light colored and there is no noticeable coloring. No rooster. She's not alpha in the flock, so maybe a top hen chased her...?

I agree with @nuthatched. Some vitamin therapy might be helpful. As far as what vitamins, I wouldn't know which ones to give. Perhaps there's some more experienced members who knows the vitamins better that can help.

Is your flock vaccinated against Marek's disease? Has she shown any symptoms other than this leg injury?

Reading your post, you sound like you're doing all the things I would be suggesting to do. On checking her for injuries, have you compared both legs then to now? Try gently, but kind of tightly, feeling her whole injured leg: up and down the shank and upper leg, thigh and the rotation, and the joints. Watch/listen/feel her reaction the whole time. She won't like you feeling her over like that, but you're looking for a reaction that might give an indication of where the pain might be. By feeling tightly, you might be able to feel something might be swelling (or a tumor-like growth.) I would continue making sure she's doing minimal movement and no jumping and down from things. How it's been longer than three weeks and it's not a broken bone, I'd looking for a vitamin treatment.
Yes vaccinated. No other symptoms, she's very alert. I did compare the legs again yesterday and they were the same. I don't feel any heat or see swelling. We have gently felt the legs and joints, but will do it again today to make sure there's nothing new. Thank you! I will start researching vitamin therapy.

Homestead Harvest layer feed, grass and lettuce, the occasional kitchen scraps, BSF worms as treats. I also soak/ferment the feed too.
She's likely suffering from vitamin deficiency, whole grain feeds let birds pick and choose what they eat. Making a mash helps but it still happens.
You want to give 400 i.u vitamin E and a sliver of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. If it's not an neurological issue, this should help.

She's likely suffering from vitamin deficiency, whole grain feeds let birds pick and choose what they eat. Making a mash helps but it still happens.
You want to give 400 i.u vitamin E and a sliver of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. If it's not an neurological issue, this should help.
Thank you! I'll get those started right away! It didn't occur to me they would be picking out only certain things from the mix. When they were babies I would blend the whole grains and add warm water to make a paste, which they loved.

Back
Top Bottom