Help please! Mother abandoned her baby.

Hi

An update- I popped him in with mum and siblings yesterday, (he was much stronger and eating well). I kept a close eye all day and so far all is going well! He seemed to just slot in like he'd never been away!

Today they've come outside for the first time and have enjoyed exploring and are now tucked under Mum in the sun.

Is it safe for them to swim yet? I've restricted access to the pond in their part of the enclosure.

Thank you all for helping!

Glad the reintroduction went well! :)

It should be ok for them to have short swims (just a few minutes), but only if they are able to easily get out of the water themselves. You'll want to keep a close eye on them and make sure they get out before getting water-logged or too cold. I would let them swim maybe once a day for now, then restrict access to the pool again to be sure they don't go in too much and get too wet/cold. Momma duck SHOULD just take them in for short times and not over-do it, but it's always safer to err on the side of caution with little ones. As they get older they can be in longer and more often. Just remember they are not waterproof until they get their adult/juvenile feathers in, so be careful and don't leave them unsupervised in the pool before that time. So many sad stories of ducklings drowning or dying from hypothermia from being in the water too long and getting chilled.

Hi

An update- I popped him in with mum and siblings yesterday, (he was much stronger and eating well). I kept a close eye all day and so far all is going well! He seemed to just slot in like he'd never been away!

Today they've come outside for the first time and have enjoyed exploring and are now tucked under Mum in the sun.

Is it safe for them to swim yet? I've restricted access to the pond in their part of the enclosure.

Thank you all for helping!
That is great news!!! Congrats on giving him such a good start so he was able to go back.
thumbsup.gif

Pics when you can I hope!

Hi all

Just an update to all those who read this thread and especially to those kind enough to offer their help, the ducklings are all really doing well, they are growing each day and getting more adventurous and are having supervised swimming sessions which of course they love!

I have posted pics to my profile, I hope they can be seen, the little one in my avatar is the one I had to help.

I have spent many hours this past week just watching these gorgeous little babies explore the world, they are just so funny to watch and very entertaining!

Would anyone be able to advise me when they might be ready to go to new homes? I have someone interested although he wants all 6 for his wife who has chickens, do chickens and ducks mix ok? I have suggested taking all 6 might not be a good idea as I don't know how many boys/girls etc there are. I'd love to keep a couple myself but for the same reasons and also having their Dad I can't.

I wouldn't want to upset the Mother who is doing a great job by taking them away too early but I understand that ducklings don't stay at this cute stage for very long. I'd welcome peoples thoughts when is a good time for them and Mum although I feel sad thinking about it but I can't possibly keep them all.

I love this website by the way, what a lovely community!

Hi all

Just an update to all those who read this thread and especially to those kind enough to offer their help, the ducklings are all really doing well, they are growing each day and getting more adventurous and are having supervised swimming sessions which of course they love!

I have posted pics to my profile, I hope they can be seen, the little one in my avatar is the one I had to help.

I have spent many hours this past week just watching these gorgeous little babies explore the world, they are just so funny to watch and very entertaining!

Would anyone be able to advise me when they might be ready to go to new homes? I have someone interested although he wants all 6 for his wife who has chickens, do chickens and ducks mix ok? I have suggested taking all 6 might not be a good idea as I don't know how many boys/girls etc there are. I'd love to keep a couple myself but for the same reasons and also having their Dad I can't.

I wouldn't want to upset the Mother who is doing a great job by taking them away too early but I understand that ducklings don't stay at this cute stage for very long. I'd welcome peoples thoughts when is a good time for them and Mum although I feel sad thinking about it but I can't possibly keep them all.

I love this website by the way, what a lovely community!
Usually by 3 weeks mom is starting to tire or at least mine are and that is when I let them go. If you can keep a couple that should make her happy. Yes chickens and ducks can get along fine as long as they are introduced slowly and not pushed into a pen together right off. Chicken can be extremely mean to new comers and ducks.lings really have no way to protect themselves. I send home a care sheet with all kinds of info on it to new owners of my ducklings. Glad to hear they are all doing so well.

Aww, so glad to hear all is going so well! ^-^

I second what Miss Lydia said up there. Make sure your friend knows to keep the ducklings and chickens separated by a fence for awhile so they can all get used to each other before introducing them. At 3 weeks you may be able to tell which are female by their voices, most at least start tossing in a little quack here and there by that age. The males will still just have their baby peeps. It'll still be tough, though. It's easier when they're older like at least 5 weeks to tell the sexes by their voices. Is your friend willing to wait that long?

Ah, ok, is that the done thing then? To keep a couple? I'm worried about them being related to the Ones I have and also being overrun in the future? If I keep a couple every time they raise babies, I'll be overrun in no time surely? I'd love to keep them all!

I can't bare the thought of separating Mum and babies yet so maybe I will try and wait at least a couple more weeks, I'd worry about them surviving on their own and it seems sad to separate them but maybe like you say, Mum will have enough at some point.

I posted pics under my albums, hopefully you can see them!

Ah, ok, is that the done thing then? To keep a couple? I'm worried about them being related to the Ones I have and also being overrun in the future? If I keep a couple every time they raise babies, I'll be overrun in no time surely? I'd love to keep them all!

I can't bare the thought of separating Mum and babies yet so maybe I will try and wait at least a couple more weeks, I'd worry about them surviving on their own and it seems sad to separate them but maybe like you say, Mum will have enough at some point.

I posted pics under my albums, hopefully you can see them!
To keep them from over running you with ducklings you need to take their eggs daily. I do it and many others here too.

Yes mom will tire of them and you'll begin to see her go back to her drake and flock that is when you know it's time to find the ducklings homes it could be 3-6 weeks old before depends on the mama. Now to see those babies.

So I shouldn't let them go to a new home until I think she is ready? I feel very mean thinking about it. We have someone who wants them next week for their wifes birthday but they will only be 3 weeks then? Is this too early? Don't want to upset the Mummy, she's so protective of them.

Regarding removing eggs, I have always done this until she went broody. Isn't it unkind to remove eggs if they are sitting on them? I just assumed it was so left her to it.

This is such a learning curve!

So I shouldn't let them go to a new home until I think she is ready? I feel very mean thinking about it. We have someone who wants them next week for their wifes birthday but they will only be 3 weeks then? Is this too early? Don't want to upset the Mummy, she's so protective of them.

Regarding removing eggs, I have always done this until she went broody. Isn't it unkind to remove eggs if they are sitting on them? I just assumed it was so left her to it.

This is such a learning curve!
Goodness no I take mines eggs daily they go broody at the drop of a hat matter of fact I have 2 right now brooding on nothing[ Muscovy's]Doesn't bother them in the least they don't have eggs they just love to sit and come out and chase everyone all over the place. I am not being mean to my girls but I can not let them sit any time they want to I'd have 40 or more ducklings running around.
roll.png

As for when to let them go see how mom is doing with them next week and if she still seems to want to be with them and is attentive ask if they can give you another week you could always take a nice pic and the guy could put it in his wife's birthday card so she sees what she is getting. If you don't feel comfortable taking them at 3 weeks then by 4 weeks I'd say they can go with out mom caring much.

Back
Top Bottom