Help please! My hen has a respiratory disease.

I put a video of her breathing in my album, please talk a look. Also, she has pooped some very watery pooes after we gave the medication to her.

Attachments

• Watery poop.jpg
    Watery poop.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 3
Withdrawl for Safeguard is 14 days following dose, if you choose to follow the withdrawl. Many people continue to use the eggs. Do what you are comfortable with . The medication is also used in humans sometimes, the concern is usually allergic reaction, if you were allergic to it. I continue to use the eggs, and am still fine. If you sell or give away, then you might want to follow withdrawl for that.
Also, how long will it take for us to see if it she is getting better? If she doesn't get better in 5 days, should we do a second round of Fenbendazole? Or stop giving Fenbendazole and give her the Tylan?

Last edited:
I would think that you would see at least some improvement after 5 days. If nothing has changed then I would start the Tylan then.

I personally prefer to use medications that are not multi-use. That way you aren't medicating for something you don't need to.
Ronidazole has some issues, link below. It's banned for use in food animals in the USA, and is a possible carcinogen. Label says "tylosine" which is either a typo, or something other than tylosin, searches for tylosine bring up only tylosin results. It also contains, levamisole, a wormer, and amprolium, a coccidiostat. If you choose to try this, then I wouldn't use the Safeguard at the same time.
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/ronidazole
This thread has another link, with more info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nidazole-for-canker-in-your-chickens.1592106/

I agree with @coach723 , if you are just trying to treat the respiratory issue, I would go with just Tylan/Tylosin.
Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned, but do not treat with Fenbendazole while chickens are molting. Their feathers will grow back all weird. We alternate with pyrantel for deworming.

I would think that you would see at least some improvement after 5 days. If nothing has changed then I would start the Tylan then.
4/20/2024 Update: It has been 6 days since she is on dewormer. Her symptoms (loud sneezing, wheezing, difficulty breathing) have mostly gone away. She still does quiet sneezes a little here and there but no longer sneezes really loudly. I don't hear any wheezing or see her holding her beak open to breathe.

For the first three days I was giving her dewormer on bread instead of oral injection because she was very squirmy when I tried to give her dewormer from syringe. Would this have made the dewormer less effective?

I am worried that her symptoms might come back when I stop giving dewormer.

I suppose my biggest question is: what is my next step? Should I continue dewormer (I read that some people gave dewormer in rounds to kill any worms that haven't hatched yet) or stop? Do I still need to give her Tylan/Tiagard?

Last edited:
If you gave the entire dose on bread, the entire dose was consumed, then it should be fine. It would only be less effective if you under dosed. 5 days should treat everything except tapeworm, so no reason to retreat. Retreatment would be needed if symptoms of worms happened, or because of a positive fecal float test. Different parasites have different prepatent periods (the time between exposure and symptoms/positive test results).
I would do the Tylan if symptoms return or get worse.

Back
Top Bottom