Have you used Ronidazole for canker in your chickens?

oakhavenmama

Songster
6 Years
Feb 14, 2017
San Antonio, Texas
Hi,

A couple of months ago, one of my roosters was diagnosed with canker. The vet gave him something for it, and I decided to treat my entire flock of 15 chickens with Ronidazole, which I had on hand. I had used it previously for two hens who I thought might have canker, but they didn't lay eggs, so I didn't think about egg withdrawal.

After I treated my flock, I read that there is a lifetime egg withdrawal. I have researched the extensive information, which doesn't tell me anything. All I can figure is Ronidazole is a human carcinogen and scientists don't know for sure how long it stays in the chickens' systems.

My question for y'all is: Have any of you used Ronidazole and then ate the eggs? If so, how long did you wait?

Unfortunately, I need to move and can't take all of my chickens. I don't think anyone would want them if they couldn't eat their eggs. My vet thinks people will take them and eat the eggs anyway, but I am not so sure.

This is stressing me out big time. The only solution that I can think of is culling the entire flock, and that is just too sad for me.

Thank you for your experience, strength and hope on this matter. 🙏❤️

All I can figure is Ronidazole is a human carcinogen
☝️This is why.
My question for y'all is: Have any of you used Ronidazole and then ate the eggs? If so, how long did you wait?
I've used metronidazole, which is banned just like Ronidazole, and I eat the eggs, I just don't eat them for about two weeks after the last dose.

I did a thread about this here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...easons-they-were-banned.1215500/post-19395336

Attachments

• Prohibited Drugs_new.pdf
    334.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom