Is this canker? Chicken with necrotic tissue in her mouth

Gaia86

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2023
Hi there! I need help, I’ve been reading a lot of posts about chicken canker and I have few questions.

Almost a week ago I took my chicken to the vet, she’s on metrodinazole 200mg/ml.

I thought Lord Byron was getting better but today I realized her mouth was full of canker plaques (see pic), her left side of the face swollen and her eye closed.

I think I removed all the plaques, some in the very back of her throat, and I’m going to continue with the antibiotics. My question is can canker plaques grow back while she’s on antibiotics?

Any other advice would be much appreciated. My vet doesn’t seem to know much about chickens.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7011.jpeg
    IMG_7011.jpeg
    626.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hello! I'm so sorry no one answered you :hugs
I honestly don't know anything about canker.
Again I'm sorry I don't know how to help😔
Hopefully someone can give you some good advice!

Hi there! I need help, I’ve been reading a lot of posts about chicken canker and I have few questions.

Almost a week ago I took my chicken to the vet, she’s on metrodinazole 200mg/ml.

I thought Lord Byron was getting better but today I realized her mouth was full of canker plaques (see pic), her left side of the face swollen and her eye closed.

I think I removed all the plaques, some in the very back of her throat, and I’m going to continue with the antibiotics. My question is can canker plaques grow back while she’s on antibiotics?

Any other advice would be much appreciated. My vet doesn’t seem to know much about chickens.

Thank you!
Canker is contagious and can be hard to treat. It can be chronic even if you are managing it with medications, so it would not be uncommon for lesions to reappear during treatment.

Did the vet suggest that you clean/sanitize your flock's water to help prevent spreading it to the others? Acidified Copper Sulfate given 3 days every month can help prevent the others from becoming symptomatic.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...aused by flagellated,of the parasite in media.
https://poultrydvm.com/condition/canker

Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing those links!!

My vet thinks it’s bacterial lesions and not canker, though she prescribed antibiotics (metrodinazole 200mg/daily for a week) for Lord Byron and 50mg/daily for the flock.

I isolated LB and now I wonder if it’s still a good idea to continue treating her with antibiotics. She has lost a lot of weight and when I try to feed her with a syringe she fights it. Also, was it a good idea to remove the necrotic tissue?

Does her beak smell bad? That is a typical symptom of canker. Many of those who have posted about canker have had to remove the necrotic tissue in order for the chicken to eat or breathe. If the treatment doesn’t help, I would consider culling, then having your state vet lab do a diagnostic necropsy.

Hello! I'm so sorry no one answered you :hugs
I honestly don't know anything about canker.
Again I'm sorry I don't know how to help😔
Hopefully someone can give you some good advice
Does her beak smell bad? That is a typical symptom of canker. Many of those who have posted about canker have had to remove the necrotic tissue in order for the chicken to eat or breathe. If the treatment doesn’t help, I would consider culling, then having your state vet lab do a diagnostic necropsy.
Sadly Lord Byron is not with us anymore.

Thank you everyone for your help and for sharing your knowledge ❤️

Thank you!
Her face didn't look like this did it? And if so, how did you get those hard deposits out?

Attachments

• Jojos Eye Infection.JPG
    Jojos Eye Infection.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Jojos Swollen Hard Eye.JPG
    Jojos Swollen Hard Eye.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 31

Back
Top Bottom