Help Please Sick Duckling

Apr 4, 2023
Miami, FL
Hi I just received a Silver Appleyard Duckling from Metzer Farms. He is very lethargic, can’t stand up, eyes seem to have discharge or like a whiteish film? Barely opens them so I’m not sure. Wont eat, does drink a little water when I bring him to it but other than that, pretty much nothing 😭 is there anything I can do? Ive never had a sick duckling like this. I really appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• EE24B228-57F0-4A86-84CB-A23ED1FBCB4F.jpeg
    EE24B228-57F0-4A86-84CB-A23ED1FBCB4F.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 69
  • CC5191A4-F52B-4145-B1D1-E1B0DC927970.jpeg
    CC5191A4-F52B-4145-B1D1-E1B0DC927970.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 02BE30CC-B8D4-4D21-92E8-68EA9F3B5C76.jpeg
    02BE30CC-B8D4-4D21-92E8-68EA9F3B5C76.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi I just received a Silver Appleyard Duckling from Metzer Farms. He is very lethargic, can’t stand up, eyes seem to have discharge or like a whiteish film? Barely opens them so I’m not sure. Wont eat, does drink a little water when I bring him to it but other than that, pretty much nothing 😭 is there anything I can do? Ive never had a sick duckling like this. I really appreciate any advice!
I would start by adding a little sugar to his water, like a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of water. Try giving him that, dipping his bill in it. I would also call Metzer for advice.

I would start by adding a little sugar to his water, like a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of water. Try giving him that, dipping his bill in it. I would also call Metzer for advice.
Thanks for your response! I dipped his bill in sugar water, he perked up for a bit but he’s back to how he was again. Metzer said to try to feed it chopped hard boiled egg and to dip his beak in water. If he doesn’t make it, to give them a call and they’ll refund 😢
Try some sugar water with raw egg yolk in it, will help perk him up.
How long have you had him?
Thanks for replying! I haven’t tried sugar water with raw egg yolk. I did try to feed it chopped up boiled egg and no luck there. I’ll give the sugar water and yolk a try. I’ve had him for 2.5 hours now.

Thanks for your response! I dipped his bill in sugar water, he perked up for a bit but he’s back to how he was again. Metzer said to try to feed it chopped hard boiled egg and to dip his beak in water. If he doesn’t make it, to give them a call and they’ll refund 😢

Thanks for replying! I haven’t tried sugar water with raw egg yolk. I did try to feed it chopped up boiled egg and no luck there. I’ll give the sugar water and yolk a try. I’ve had him for 2.5 hours now.
Omg! Beak :oops: I meant bill!

Have you ever been able to save a chick from this? What do you think it could be? I’m scared to give any antibiotics or take any extra measures and risk killing it.

Let him rest. Yes, I have saved some. For now I would give him just sugar water or sugar water with a pinch of electrolytes. If he perks up in a few hours try the egg yolk. He probably got stressed in shipping. It was hot here in Memphis yesterday, where Metzer ships from. So he may have gotten over heated or chilled in the air conditioning. Glucose is his main energy source so the sugar will help unless his system is already shutting down. Then, all you can do is make him comfortable. Prayers!

Back
Top Bottom