help please with dosage of Penicillin for rooster fight wounds

I keep birds free-range and otherwise, Health issues seldom realized. Longevity very good where many will be expected to reach 10 years of age. Prevention through management is my approach.

Dubbed means comb and wattles cut off. That is part of reason I wanted to see good shot of head. Also wanted to see bill as it appeared busted which does not happen when fighting in the open. Fights like had usually occur before rooster more than on year.

Sorry for your loss.  I have also been there with hatching too many roosters.  The last three summers I have given a friend my extra cockerels to supply his family with meat.  In my experience people around here don't want to be bothered with butchering even free chickens.

This not a too many rooster issue like you know. Gamefowl involved.

How old was he? He appeared dubbed.

I took time to read some of your other posts. You seem to practice medical intervention rather frequently.

What does this have to do with anything anyway? Everybody's situation is different. Everybody practices medical intervention frequently at one time or another.
When the OP is on the site, it's because she needs medical help. She just isn't on here at any other time. I don't understand what this statement means. This OP isn't any different than any one else who gets on here for help.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss... I strongly suggest that you get yourself a tube feeding tube and syringe so that next time you have one that gets sick you can keep it properly hydrated. Then once hydrated, you could tube feed it some Kaytee Baby Bird Food. Most people don't realize how much water a sick bird needs and that there is no way to safely syringe that amount into a bird.

@Harry Rooster , if you can get the supplies, I can teach you how to do it properly.

Places to get tubes and syringes:
The 18
http://www.greatmedicalsupplies.com...l-purpose-robinsonnelaton-catheter-351018.htm

Tractor Supply sells single 60ml catheter tip syringes for $5.00 each
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/producers-pridereg;-syringe-with-cathater-tip-60-cc-capacity

These are the cheapest we could find and they last much longer than the more expensive brands.
http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/syringe-60cc-catheter-tip-25-box-MV60CCCT/mvi-syringes-needles
20416_16013_large.jpg

Help | Tell a Friend | Printable Version
Med-Vet Syringes 60cc Catheter Tip 25/bx

Item#: MV60CCCT
Vendor: Oasis
Price:$9.99
Quantity:

-Kathy

Last edited:
Centrachid, Well all I can say is that you are very blessed or lucky that you haven't had any issues with your animals, since as you can see from this site that there are many people that do, that I'm sure love and care about their animals or they wouldn't be on here trying to get help for them. I don't understand what you are implying and keep calling him a gamefowl and implying that his comb and waddles were cut off or any of that. He was just my baby rooster that was a pet, that stayed on my porch, he was very well taken care of and did NOT have his comb and waddles cut off or anything like that. Seems like you may be implying that I am actually fighting roosters or something for sport like some people do! That's the feeling that I get from your posts. This is absolutely NOT the case! And I am offended that you would even imply such a thing, and say that this is not a case of too many roosters, which is the same as calling me a liar. I would never do such a thing and would report anyone that did. I am an animal lover of all animals and always do my best in all my animals cases to take very good care of them and address any issues that they may have. Also prevention through management is also my approach. I baby sit those chickens every day like they were my children. I have an online shop, so I am home most of the time working on my computer and I am constantly checking on them when I am here, Had I been here that day, none of this would have happened. This IS absolutely because of too many roosters. The baby had just gotten old enough to decide that he wanted to have a girlfriend too and had probably gotten after one of the hens that had gotten separated from the rest, as has happened before, and Jr. caught up with him. When this has happened before the hen would call for Jr and Jr would come running from where ever he was to rescue, and in time past, the baby rooster would run from him but now has gotten to start standing up to him. I have broken them up a few times because of this. It is my fault though, Mother had told me to get rid of one of them before this happened, but I figured that they would stop and I didn't want to get rid of either of them because the hens were used to Jr and he is a good rooster for them, and the baby was my pet and I didn't want to get rid of him either, thought I could manage it and make them stop but I was wrong. If I had been here this wouldn't have happened, but realistically I couldn't be here all of the time since I do have to go places sometimes. This rooster had a comb that did not stand up straight but hung over to one side like an Elvis hairdo, I called him Elvis Jr sometimes because of this. He beak was NOT busted and waddles were NOT cut off. He took a beating and a lot of damage was done to his comb. The picture is of the other side of his face where his one eye took the most damage. If I had taken a picture of the other side, you would have seen his beat up comb but I couldn't get a picture of the other side because of the way he was sitting in the cage and I didn't want to disturb him just to get the picture. Thought you just wanted to see the size and type he was, didn't know you were looking for a comb and such. Just needed some medical help like Chicknmania stated.
Casportpony, thanks so much, I will see about getting these supplies so I will have them next time I have an issue with a sick or injured chicken. I am getting up supplies that I may need at any time so that I have them on hand for what ever situation may arise that I can deal with. Can't afford vet bills and have lots of different kinds of animals.

What does this have to do with anything anyway? Everybody's situation is different. Everybody practices medical intervention frequently at one time or another.
When the OP is on the site, it's because she needs medical help. She just isn't on here at any other time. I don't understand what this statement means. This OP isn't any different than any one else who gets on here for help.

Thanks Chicknmania, I couldn't have stated it better myself. As you personally know, I have been successful at bringing some of my birds back from the point of death, with help from my friends here on BYC and medical intervention. I am very thankful for all the help that so many on here are able to give. I have learned everything I know about bird care from all of you helpful guys on here and I so appreciate all the help you have given me. When I first started reading on this site I had even no idea that you were supposed to worm chickens! Didn't know that the could even get worms! So thank you all very much. I would hope and pray that I would never need any medical advise anymore but I'm sure that won't be the case. I fell quite sure that even the best chicken keepers on here have issues occasionally. Anyway, Thanks Chick, and everyone that has responded to help me. Next time, I will try to get rid of the extra rooster, can't deal with this, and getting attached like that.

Th reason that I'm not on here as much as I used to be is because I have an online shop on Etsy and it takes up all of my time right now with the Christmas season shopping going on, so I haven't had the time to get on here like I used to and just read and research like I used to do. Just came on because of like Chickn said, needed some medical help like everyone else on the Emergencies thread. Y'all come visit me at my shop and see what I've been doing. it's Nature'sUniqueBotique and I am arthandpainter user name on there. Hope y'all will check me out!! Thanks everyone for all your help. When the Christmas season is over, I will take the time to check out the links on tube feeding Casportpony. Thanks!

Th reason that I'm not on here as much as I used to be is because I have an online shop on Etsy and it takes up all of my time right now with the Christmas season shopping going on, so I haven't had the time to get on here like I used to and just read and research like I used to do. Just came on because of like Chickn said, needed some medical help like everyone else on the Emergencies thread. Y'all come visit me at my shop and see what I've been doing. it's Nature'sUniqueBotique and I am arthandpainter  user name on there. Hope y'all will check me out!! Thanks everyone for all your help. When the Christmas season is over, I will take the time to check out the links on tube feeding Casportpony. Thanks!

Learn to tube and you will have a much better chance at saving them. It's so easy and safe! Once you do learn, you will kick yourself in the butt for not learning sooner. Will it save all birds? Of course not, but they will not die from dehydration and starvation like so many here on BYC do.

-Kathy

I do have a big bottle of the Penicillin G stuff, can that be used on cats and dogs also? I thought that it could be used on all animals. I will get some of that Baytril also though. I am getting a nice emergency cabinet started now, have syringes and a box of 20 gauge needles, Tylan injectable type Neosporin, Lotrimin, Betadine Asprin of course cotton and gauze and q-tips and such like that also have a few Cephelexin or how ever you spell it, from one of my abscess teeth that were left over that I have been using in the past, and I also got some good wormer and Oxine, that was expensive!! VetRx for colds or anything like that and also have a vaporizer that I have had to use on one of them before, which worked very well with the VetRx in it. Thanks Casportpony!! :D

Back
Top Bottom