Help! Replacing carpet and corner subfloor soaked in cat urine

edible_chicken

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Ohio
Our home was brand new when we bought it in 2014. In the process of taking out the carpet to put down LVP, my cat had peed on a corner of our livingroom. It was pretty soaked in an area of 12" long and 3" deep and looked like he had been doing for a long time. We are in the process of deodorizing and drying it. So far it seems to be structurally sound. If i choose not to replace the subfloor, my question is, even after deodorizing, drying. and sanding, will the dried urine in the wood continue to deteriorate the subfloor? Again, i am okay NOT replacing the subfloor if it won't continue to breakdown the wood. situation with the cat has been taking care of and so far it smells like we have rid of the smell. we plan to wait for an answer before we move forward installing the floor.. thank you

I don't know if it will break down the wood. I do know the smell will never totally go away until you replace the wood.
thank you for your response. so far it seems the smell has gone away. i posted this same question on a home rebuild website and someone stated urine that is dried into the subfloor will not cause the wood to breakdown or deteriorate. I just had it in my mind that it would. If anyone else wants to chime in with their advice, it will be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Every time that carpet and/or wood gets wet (cleaning the carpet) it will re-activate that urine. There are enzyme solutions sold that have worked for me in the past. Try a google search for pet stain remover with enzymes. I'll check when I can and see what brand mine is. This stuff literally eats and breaks down the urine. I'd still replace that bit of subfloor myself. Maybe spray some of the enzyme solution on the supports before placing the patch, just to be sure. But I'm kind of OC disordered. ;)

My hubby was a flooring mechanic for over 25 years.
He would install 4x8 luan sheets thru out that room. Luan generally is around 1/8" thick or less. Smooth side up.Liquid nail boards randomly to prevent squeaks and ring shank galvanized drywall nails. Don't cut the perimeter boards too tight because wood expands and contracts with weather, temp etc. Install your new floor covering as recommended by the material's factory recommendations. The transition to existing floor covering in connected rooms such as doorways, won't be that effected by the added 1/8" subfloor covering. If is too bad of an Oder, completely saturate the stain with arm and hammer baking soda for a few days. Grind it in with your feet. Vacuum it up. Apply Thompsons water seal. Let dry. Install the luan staggered from the existing subfloor joints. Don't match them. Quarter turned is best.
If your subfloor is spongy or soft. Replace the subfloor section with real plywood. Not OSB.

I used to help my hubby from time to time, that's how I know. He was a professional journeyman until his knees went out.
WEAR KNEE PADS!
Good luck.. If you have any question I can't answer,
I will ask him for ya!
FC

Back
Top Bottom