help!! salmanilla

Quote:
There isn't anything the medical profession can really do for it anyway besides antibiotics and then there is a lot of controversy on whether those really even work since they strip all the good bacteria, which is needed to override the bad. . Yes, they sound like they could be symptoms..and I too am a mom of 4..3 on the Autism spectrum..with no insurance so I understand where you are coming from. My suggestion is lots of good kifir, yogurt, water and rest. Stay away from a lot of sugar and try to eat well. If you get a high fever..by all means..go to emergency.

There is no telling where it came from, if you don't already have a clue. We too tried to figure it out last night..who ate what..no one else felt it..doesn't really matter anyway..what might affect me, may not affect someone else.

These are two good articles.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/9129-treat-salmonella-poisoning/

http://www.medicinenet.com/salmonella/article.htm

Most gut bugs are actually viral and self-limiting (go away on their own with no real treatment needed). If you develop high fever, bloody diarrhea, or inability to keep fluids down, then you would need to get to the ER.

Push fluids. Eat yogurt, cottage cheese, buttermilk, etc. Wash your hands, because all gut bugs, viral and bacterial, are highly contagious. Most are gone within a few days. If symptoms go on for weeks and you start losing a lot of weight, then it might be another problem with the gut that would need medical evaluation.

As GiddyMoon mentioned, in self-limiting cases of Salmonella, it is often best to avoid antibiotics because unnecessarily prolonged use of antibiotics can cause a secondary infection call C diff due to the antibiotics killing good gut flora. That is not true in cases that are not self-limiting though, and in those cases, Cipro is necessary. Otherwise, these cases can easily be fatal. About 500 people die of salmonella every year in the U.S. iirc. That is why it is important to recognize whether your symptoms are getting progressively worse as worsening symptoms over time indicate the infection is not self-limiting. It is dangerous to lump all cases together as not requiring antibiotics or to recommend avoiding antibiotics in all cases.

However, without the fecal test, there is no way to say with any certainty that it is salmonella. A lot of illnesses have exactly the same symptoms to some level of severity. Many are self-limiting. Some are not. If it is self-limiting, improvement will be noted in a matter of days; yay, get rest and plenty of fluids and go on with your life. If it is not self-limiting, symptoms will progressively worsen over time; get thee to a doctor.

As an alternative for antibiotics, you can try Silver Shield. I have used it to ear infections and respitory infections. You can get it at a natural store. It is a bit pricey($25) but is a great natural antibiotic that doesn't kill the good bacteria.Sometimes it saves us a Dr visit.

Back
Top Bottom