Help sexing my ducklings!

mclarke2941

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
Good morning all!

I currently have 8 ducklings, about a month old, that I need to determine the sex of. I am planning to keep two of them but I can only keep females because I already have three adult ducks two of which are males. I am aware that I should have more females than males which is why I really want to make sure the two ducklings I keep are female.

My sister and I tried vent sexing one of the ducklings last night and are pretty sure it is a male. But I was hoping to get some guidance and tips on the best way to sext them at their age. We unfortunately cannot wait until they are older to find out because we are bringing the remaining 6 ducklings to their new home by the end of the week.

I am new to sexing ducks so I would be really grateful for any help to make sure I am doing it safely and correctly.

Thank you! And I attached a photo of the babies from this morning for you all to see!

Attachments

• 6685B201-31F3-4506-A5E3-DA69164D0EBE.jpeg
    6685B201-31F3-4506-A5E3-DA69164D0EBE.jpeg
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 29
Wait till they lose their Peeps and get adult voices. Hens quack loud and Drakes have raspy voices. Usually the hens will quack earlier than the Drakes begin to rasp. Try carrying each one away from the group. They will quack for their friends. Might need a couple more weeks before they change their voices.

Wait till they lose their Peeps and get adult voices. Hens quack loud and Drakes have raspy voices. Usually the hens will quack earlier than the Drakes begin to rasp. Try carrying each one away from the group. They will quack for their friends. Might need a couple more weeks before they change their voices.

Thank you! We have tried listening to their voices but they’re not very distinct yet. Like I said in the original thread, we are giving the ducks away to a new home this week so we can’t wait until they are older to find out. I appreciate the response though!

hi, you can post individual videos and we can try to find out who sounds like a girl/boy!

also, you have two drakes and a hen at the moment right? i would honestly recommend rehoming the hen, keeping the two older drakes + 2 younger drakes. in my opinion drakes are super sweet and make amazing pets

According to their feathering I'm willing to bet one or two of them may start to quack if they are separated from the group. Time to take some videos so we can all chime in. :) If nothing else it gives us a little dose of duckling cuteness.
It is still a little on the early side but it is possible sometimes to hear the difference at this age.

hi, you can post individual videos and we can try to find out who sounds like a girl/boy!

also, you have two drakes and a hen at the moment right? i would honestly recommend rehoming the hen, keeping the two older drakes + 2 younger drakes. in my opinion drakes are super sweet and make amazing pets

Thank you! Unfortunately I just saw this and we brought the ducks to their new home this morning! And yes that’s right, we have the two drakes and a hen. That might be a good idea, but we’ve had the three older ducks for over three years now and they’ve imprinted on each other, so I don’t think they’d react well to being separated. But, we did try our best to determine the sex of the two young ones we kept and think we might have two females. I’m pretty positive at least one of them is, she’s been quacking a lot. I’m crossing my fingers though!

According to their feathering I'm willing to bet one or two of them may start to quack if they are separated from the group. Time to take some videos so we can all chime in. :) If nothing else it gives us a little dose of duckling cuteness.
It is still a little on the early side but it is possible sometimes to hear the difference at this age.

I wish I saw this sooner! That would have been a great idea. But, we brought the babies to their new home this morning, so we’re hoping the two we kept are females. Maybe I can take a video of the two we have to see what you all think anyway! Thanks!

I wish I saw this sooner! That would have been a great idea. But, we brought the babies to their new home this morning, so we’re hoping the two we kept are females. Maybe I can take a video of the two we have to see what you all think anyway! Thanks!
more girls then boys won’t work out

Back
Top Bottom