Help! Sick Rooster

chilman

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2011
I made a post earlier this afternoon about my rooster having flystrike. Because I was worried about maggots entering his body via his vent I read several old posts about flystrike and it was suggested that I inject water into his vent...a chicken enema. Well I did that, with warm water and epsom salt. Now the poor guy is not doing well at all. I'll be lucky if he is alive tomorrow.

He did poop a small amount and he did not pass any maggots. Since he has not been eating I decided to give him some egg which he loves and only ate a tiny bit. He's not interested in meal worms or his food. I'm not sure if he is drinking and he is to weak to jump on his roost. I did place him on his roost and he did try to poop but he can't get anything out.

I simply don't know what to do now. I feel like the chicken enema was not the right thing to do. I'm praying that I did not kill him.

Thank you! I just checked on him and he's just laying there with his 3 girls all around him. It's like they know he is sick and want to be near him. I hope he pulls thru I don't want to loose him.

Back
Top Bottom