HELP! Sour crop!

I purchased the nystatin from Walgreens, her vet called in for the suspension which is fine, I imagine it will be easier for Ginger
smile.png
. She is not currently eating much at all so we are giving her nutrients and meds via a syringe. Is this a normal Occurance that they don't eat? I know she isn't feeling up to snuff but she is walking around some and haning out. Her comb is red as her waddle the same.
She is going to back to visit Monday. Yes Kathy he is a good vet and he also treats my 10 year old parakeet
smile.png
. He is very compassionate and humble.
Thanks again to everyone will be checking back on and off throught the day and so on.
Glad you were able to get the good stuff from Walgreens! I am no expert, but when people get stomach bugs, they tend to have no appetite either. Good idea on the syringe and to keep her hydrated and for her meds!

One option is Megabac-S which is amphotericin B bound to so complex sugar molecules to make it water-soluble. It's the only OTC form and was developed for parakeets who often have yeast infections of the proventriculus and gizzard, just a little downstream of the crop. It's expensive but it's OTC and one of the most potent anti-fungals available.
Gonna get me some of that!

-Kathy

For that kind of money, I think I'd rather take my bird to they vet and have a diagnosis and get a prescription if needed, would probably cost less. There's another drug, Ketoconazole, but that one has some pretty scary warnings.

Office visit and exam - $45
Smear - $25
Drugs - ???

-Kathy

Last edited:
There is a youtube video showing how to relieve sour crop. involves holding chicken upside dowh and massaging the crop. I did this with one of mine, plus massaging her crop daily. I quit only when she felt well enough that she was too hard to catch. Her crop is saggy now and there is just a tiny ball in it but she eats, drinks, and runs around as well as her old leg injury will allow. I can't afford to spend hundreds on one of my flock, even if there was a poultry/avian vet around, which there is not.

I think that guy on YouTube stated that his hen died 3 days later.
He was rough and although I don't have experience w vomiting a chicken but I would imagine that you would have to be gentle.
I don't believe that video is a good example.

I am glad I was able to obtain her meds too lol she is a fighter, very sweet and personable but hates meds. It's a struggle but I believe that when you love someone you should give them the best of yourself and I love my Ginger.

I think that guy on YouTube stated that his hen died 3 days later.
He was rough and although I don't have experience w vomiting a chicken but I would imagine that you would have to be gentle.
I don't believe that video is a good example.

I am glad I was able to obtain her meds too lol she is a fighter, very sweet and personable but hates meds. It's a struggle but I believe that when you love someone you should give them the best of yourself and I love my Ginger.
thumbsup.gif

Ketoconazole is OTC but is kind of old and I believe not as well-tolerated as newer -azoles. Itraconazole is one of the more effective anti-fungals and is used in birds and people but some parrots react badly to azoles so they use terbinafine. It's not an azole, there isn't much resistance to it, and it's cheap (generic available).

Here's a chart of anti-fungal prices:

http://www.doctorfungus.org/thedrugs/cost1.php

It's actually quite an excellent site that covers all the fungal diseases and drugs.

Back
Top Bottom