HELP! Sour crop!

http://www.scottemcdonald.com/pdfs/Crop%20Disorders.pdfCROP STASIS
Causes
Many environmental, dietary, and systemic conditions can lead to crop stasis. Management
factors include low ambient temperature, change in formula, change in the consistency,
temperature, or amounts of formula being fed, and unsanitary feeding methods. Medical
conditions include bacterial or fungal infection, foreign bodies or substrate ingestion, crop
burns, and gastro‐intestinal shutdown due to obstruction in the GI tract below the crop, or
generalized systemic disease (i.e. polyomavirus infection, bacterial sepsis).
Clinical Signs
1. The crop may be enlarged and pendulous and may fail to empty or may do so
extremely slowly.
2. Feeding response varies from normal to absent.
3. Vomiting or regurgitation may occur
4. Initially, birds are alert and active, but depression and listlessness occur as the disease
progresses.
5. Dehydration…the skin color changes from a healthy pick to an almost red color,
depending on severity. Skin will lose elasticity.
6. There is failure to gain weight or loss of body weight.
7. The number of droppings decreases.
8. There may be brownish discoloration or scab formation in the skin overlying the crop.
9. A hole in the crop will result in leakage of formula (crop burn).

http://www.aemv.org/Documents/EPP_Mar2000.pdf
Crop Disorders in Adult Psittacines
Primary crop disorders in adult psittacines are uncommon, but would
include foreign bodies or tumors in the crop. In these situations, clinical presentation
may involve a distended crop, regurgitation, and weight loss in situations
of a chronic condition. Other disorders in adult psittacines that may
result in a crop dysfunction include a variety of systemic diseases; as a factor
of the clinical syndrome, a delay in crop emptying may occur. Often, the
mechanism of the connection between the systemic disorder and the crop
slowdown is unknown and cannot be demonstrated, even when a complete
necropsy is performed. The connection does occur clinically, however.
Additional situations resulting in crop stasis in an adult bird include lead
poisoning and microorganism overgrowth in the crop, such as with gramnegative
bacteria, the yeast

Candida, and the protozoa Trichomonas gallinae.
The viral disease, commonly known as proventricular dilatation disease,
can also affect adult birds, and among presenting clinical signs, crop stasis
may be evident.

I see.
Well we will do our best to deal w the issue at hand and then see where that leads us. About all of that other stuff I'll find the best soulutions possible if there is an issue :)

Darn, I thought it was OTC. Interesting reading! So where does the infected feces come from? A new chicken? Or wild birds?

It just comes from other birds who are carriers. Regurgitating food to feed babies or as gifts to other birds is probably an effective way to spread it. Fortunately, it's mostly a parrot thing.

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with fermented feed but if the main benefit is acidifying the upper digestive tract I'm sure there are safer ways to do it.

Thank you for your optimism Shaby! My husband and I are doing our best but it is difficult when your hen says "oh no!" Bc she hates the syringe. It really breaks our hearts but if it's going to maker better then we have to administer meds and stuff.
Thank you your thread link, I'll make sure to take notes!

Back
Top Bottom