Help! Swollen hot bare belly

Of course I have never seen it in real life (hope I never do) but that read swollen belly sure looked like some kind of internal inflammation/infection.
I read up on it and it sounds pretty devastating with not a heckuva lot of a chance for a good outcome.
So sad....
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
Thanks guys. I looked it up and I guess it’s possible. I have 60 chickens so I definitely don’t know who’s laying and who’s not. I don’t know if there’s a way to keep up with that. This is all new to me. I will definitely try to watch more closely. She didn’t have any of the other symptoms though. She ate aggressively and walked around with the others, eyes shiny and wide open. Her behavior seemed completely normal to me. Today she was drinking and that’s when I saw her insides between her feet. She was still walking around tripping on them. So weird to me. I just hope it doesn’t happen again. That was so stressful for me and surely horrible for her

Awww thnx. Definitely a horrible experience. Also since the hurricane we can’t know if something got in the pond water etc. everything has been quarantined around here so there’s just no telling what happened.

Her behavior seemed completely normal to me. Today she was drinking and that’s when I saw her insides between her feet. She was still walking around tripping on them. So weird to me. I just hope it doesn’t happen again. That was so stressful for me and surely horrible for her
Prey animals feel pain differently than humans do, they DO feel it, but, not like we do.
Likely, she was uncomfortable and confused about what she was tripping over, but not in the kind of pain that you would imagine that she was in. Chickens have lost wings in dog attacks and lived to tell about it without any pain meds, can you imagine being a human that had an arm ripped off by a wolf and no pain meds or hospital care?

Back
Top Bottom