Help us Isolate the Coturnix Quail Blue Egg Phenotype! The "Jazzy Jazmine" Selective Breeding Proje

I've notice this hen lays lighter shades of light blue but this one was the first one that was more blue-ish. I'll keep my eyes on her. But I think it might be a fluke.

My wife and I just started quail and they just started laying. One of them laid a solid blue egg with no spotting. I believe I can tell which one she may be. I was told they were Italians. I can tell the males apart. She seems to have less spots and a little brighter color in her feathers. When she lays another I'll take a picture and post if you want. So the blue egg causes more of a parental care from both the parents? How common are blue egg laying Coturix? Was wondering if it'd be a good thing to breed for. Idk. Just had our quail start laying and the blue egg after 4 normal eggs made me curious.

Unfortunately its only been a couple days since they started laying and we have only had 2 blue eggs. Both have been broken when we found them and i dont know why :(. I took a pic of it though.

give it a week or so, see if it stops, looks more like a stressed hen recoating that egg than a celadon colored egg. Its possible though. If it turns out to be celadon (and you didnt purchase it from JMF) it didnt enter the country legally.

Any updates on the progress of this project? I'm very interested in working to isolate the blue egg gene, and would love to get involved somehow!

Hello there, one of my young hens has just started laying these blue eggs. The photos don't show the blueness very well. I have not cracked one open yet, they should be blue all the way through, is that right? I got my original eggs from Perry Schofield in Alberta Canada. He has said I am to mate the hen with one of her sons to try to get more blue egg layers. I will give it a try when I start incubating the eggs in the spring. Exciting!

Fairly new to quail, but enjoy working on my pet project of a blue egg laying, bearded, pea combed, Iowa Blue chicken (internally dubbed "Iowacanas".) Previously raised some snowflake bobwhite quail, starting on Coturnix this spring (some silvers and some standards).

Watching to see how this turns out, love the project goals. :)

pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom